Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

MAC Client is effectively unusable (100%+ CPU, won't quit without Force Quit)

MAC Client is effectively unusable (100%+ CPU, won't quit without Force Quit)

MACBook Pro, 2018.  i9 2.9GHz, 32GB RAM, Radeon Pro 560X 4 GB

Premium Plan, USA.  On a wired gigabit network connection.

macOS 10.14.4 (18E226).  Cache Deleted/Freshly uninstalled and reinstalled Spotify downloaded from Spotify.com

When I launch Spotify, my fans spool up to annoying levels and when I check the hardware monitor, Spotify is using 100.7% of a CPU core.  Spotify helper is using 0.6% of a CPU core.  I'm not even playing any music yet.

I have tried adjusting x-fade, auto volume.  Local files look disabled.

There are multiple threads about this, but many are marked "solved" and none of the solutions work for me.  This is pretty high-end hardware to be maxed out by a music streaming service...

Spotify 5-8-19 at 8.15 PM.jpg
18 Replies

+1

100% CPU an incredible amount of RAM consumption. Spotify consumes more resources than Photoshop, Illustrator and Indesign together.

Horible program development.

Note: I do not need any Rock Star to tell me to reinstall.

Hey @tarquinflimbim & @03-ckyvl_ivh5,

Thanks for getting in touch!

We are aware of an issue with the app and are currently investigating it. The issue seems to occur for a very small amount of users so if you could vote and leave a comment with your device info here, we'll be able to look into this. It's also the place where we will keep you up-to-date.

Sorry for the inconvenience. Let us know if you have further questions.

Have a nice day!

I've been complaining about this for two years and nothing has been done about it. I'm not expecting anything to happen this time around.

Although the report marked this issue as "fixed" I am still experiencing this issue with the latest version of the desktop client (1.1.10.540) on macOS 10.14.5

CPU usage goes through the roof and the app won't close without forcing to quit.

Screenshot 2019-07-11 at 19.29.12.png

Please advice.

HI. I am having the same issue since the last apdate. the desktop app is not useable at all. the weird thing though, is that under activity monitor, the spotify itself is normal on CPU. but it trigger the Kernel Task to be at 100%. Unlike the screen shot shown here.

Screen Shot 2019-07-16 at 9.48.55.png

just to be clear, i removed the spotify app completly for my mac and reinstall it again with a fresh and clean installation (removed Residues from cache and application support). still, with no change.

@boo-zi wrote:

just to be clear, i removed the spotify app completly for my mac and reinstall it again with a fresh and clean installation (removed Residues from cache and application support). still, with no change.

Make sure to post this in the main report thread as well. It's currently marked as "fixed" so I assume they will only investigate it again if enough people post there.

This is also happening for me and has been so for the past year – very annoying.

I've been through multiple sessions with Spotify support with no results.

Please make efforts to fix this.

Screenshot 2019-07-27 at 20.43.48.png

Have same issue on a MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2019) with 32 GB of RAM. When will Spotify have a fix for this?

Same issue here. 

MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2018, Four Thunderbolt 3 Ports)

2,3 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5

16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3

Intel Iris Plus Graphics 655 1536 MB

Also happens for me (both having to force quit to quit and 100% continuous core pegged). MacPro 6.1, Mojave 10.14.6

Any updates on this? Client has been unusable for months, will prob switch to Apple Music

Seeing a similar issue. It's bad to the point of me not being able to run the Spotify client while I'm using my laptop for work. At which point I'm not sure why I'm paying for the service.
Moved:

This post was removed for violating the Community Terms and Conditions, specifically "Avoid double posting". Any users posting the same content multiple times will have their posts removed. For more information please read here: https://community.spotify.com/t5/Spotify-Answers/Spotify-Support-Community-Guidelines/ta-p/4575166

I am having the same problem. I'm using a MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2019, 2.3 GHz Intel Core 19 processor, 16 GB 2400 MHz DDR4). I find I can no longer use Spotify on my Mac: As soon as I open it, the fan goes into overdrive.

Hi there,

I had this issue yesterday, and was unable to fix it through the methods stated in the main thread. However, I updated my MacBook Air 2018 to the public beta Catalina 10.15.6, and it was fixed.

Then today again, the same thing happened. This time, I first tried deleting the files inside the storage of 'persistent cache' (Users --> 'username' --> Library --> Application Support --> Spotify --> Persistent Cache --> Storage), and then cleared Spotify cache and did a clean reinstall. This seemed to work, and my CPU usage of the client is back to around 5%-10%.

Hope this helps!

Edit: 5 mins later it went back to 100%+ CPU ;-;

Same issue here...

Version 10.15.5

MBP 16-inch, 2019

2.3 GHz i9

32GB DDR4 

AMD Radeon Pro 5500M 8GB 

Come on, Spotify, this is a music streaming app and at least one of my cores has to run at 100% to support it?? Fix this ASAP please, otherwise I really don't know anymore why I should pay for your service. Especially, given that this seems to be a problem for quite a while now - can't be that difficult to fix...

Which post is this referring to?

Suggested posts