Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Mac App Crashing

Mac App Crashing

I have a macbook and run OS X 10.5.8 and recently tried to update my spotify app. I clicked the link on the blue bar that kept showing up and supposedly it updated. Now every time I try to open Spotify it crashes. I've tried redownloading, restarting my computer and trying to redownload. Now I can't even get the app to download without it crashing during the process. Any ideas what's going on?

7 Replies

@megselee wrote:

I have a macbook and run OS X 10.5.8 and recently tried to update my spotify app. I clicked the link on the blue bar that kept showing up and supposedly it updated. Now every time I try to open Spotify it crashes. I've tried redownloading, restarting my computer and trying to redownload. Now I can't even get the app to download without it crashing during the process. Any ideas what's going on?

Hey! Welcome to the community 🙂 

Spotify has ended support for OS X 10.5.x which is why the most recent client update will not run on your system.

Have a read at my post here which details how to get a working client again.

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

This has been weeks that this has been going on.  I've been tolerating it for a while, but now it's slowing my progress down at work in so many ways... I'm a front end developer, so music is very important to my workflow.  I've had to use iTunes the last few days because I can't get Spotify to run... but now I want to listen to some of the newer albums I have cued up in Spotify.  So I'm wondering should I just forget about it completely because it's been weeks and nothing is fixed so at some point I need to permanently move on.

This Spotify app crashes every single time that I close it. This has been happening consistently since the last Spotify app update. Using the app is nearly impossible as well... it is very unresponsive. Load times for the "what's new" interface are 30-45 seconds. None of my Spotify apps work (ie: Lastfm, We Are Hunted, etc...). It's just plain awful.

My details...

Version 10.6.8

4GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM

7200 RPM Macintosh HD (checked and fine)

@ChadR wrote:

This has been weeks that this has been going on.  I've been tolerating it for a while, but now it's slowing my progress down at work in so many ways... I'm a front end developer, so music is very important to my workflow.  I've had to use iTunes the last few days because I can't get Spotify to run... but now I want to listen to some of the newer albums I have cued up in Spotify.  So I'm wondering should I just forget about it completely because it's been weeks and nothing is fixed so at some point I need to permanently move on.

This Spotify app crashes every single time that I close it. This has been happening consistently since the last Spotify app update. Using the app is nearly impossible as well... it is very unresponsive. Load times for the "what's new" interface are 30-45 seconds. None of my Spotify apps work (ie: Lastfm, We Are Hunted, etc...). It's just plain awful.

My details...

Version 10.6.8

4GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM

7200 RPM Macintosh HD (checked and fine)

Just reached an all new low... "completely unresponsive"... with my load wheel just spinning... and no way at all of closing the app other than me doing a 'force close'.

i am really losing patience with this..  especially as i paid for a premium account... on my wireless connection, i get about 13Mb.. my android phone is streaming fine, but the mac version on my mountain lion new macbook pro might as well be on dial up.

such a pain in the neck, you wanna relax and have to put up with finding these forums and writing post..  absolutely cheesed off.

going to cancel if this goes on and make formal complaints..

Spoiler

tristian2 - this issue should now be resolved. Please try the steps in this thread and let us know if you still have problems: http://community.spotify.com/t5/Help-Desktop-Linux-Mac-and/Mac-Important-info-for-Mac-10-5-users/m-p...

Check out our Twitter for the latest updates on any service issues: @Spotifystatus

Problem solved? Click 'Accept as solution' to make it easier to find for others!

New to the Community? Check out our Community newbie tips

Hello. I have an error saying "Offline mode for this device has been withdrawn". I used some cache clearing software and i fear that may be the cause. I understand that this can be reset but I am unsure of how

@Chijim wrote:

Hello. I have an error saying "Offline mode for this device has been withdrawn". I used some cache clearing software and i fear that may be the cause. I understand that this can be reset but I am unsure of how

Hey! Welcome to the community 🙂 

Can you just try and mark a another track as offline and see if it will let you sync again?

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

Suggested posts