Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Mac OS Mojave - Siri stops AirPlay playback and steals audio stream

Mac OS Mojave - Siri stops AirPlay playback and steals audio stream

Plan: Premium

Device: iPhone XS and iMac 4K

Operating System: iOS 12.1.2 and Mac OS 10.14.2

I came accross an odd bug. Here is what happens.

Playing Spotify on iPhone over AirPlay to an Apple TV. The Spotify application is open on the Mac connected to the iPhone which is playing the music. I invoke Siri on the Mac by clicking the menu bar button. When Siri starts listening, the music stops playing and when Siri is done, Spotify continues playing through the Mac speakers.

Remember, I was playing Spotify through the iPhone, not the Mac. Invoking Siri on the Mac shouldn't have done anything. The music should have continued playing over AirPlay.

If Spotify is not running on the Mac, this doesn't happen. And invoking Siri on the iPhone while Spotify is playing from it over AirPlay has not effect on Spotify playback. It does not pause and playback is not changed or interupted.

3 Replies

This happens between my laptop and my plugged in headphones, and has been happnign for about over a year. Hitting Siri stops Spotify output, and even if Siri is immediately closed, Spotify cannot output audio for a good 10-20 seconds.

It's not just AirPlay. This behaviour by Siri on my Mac occurs even when I am playing to my Sonos speakers through Spotify Connect started on my iPad.

Suggested posts