Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Mac OS X 10.8.5 update+reinstall crashes on start

Mac OS X 10.8.5 update+reinstall crashes on start

Hello! I'm running mac OS X 10.8.5 and today got a pop up to update Spotify, which I did. The application closed and then never opened. I went to open it manually but it was gone from my Applications folder. I redownloaded the installer and followed the instructions to reinstall. Spotify tries to open (the icon shows up on my dock and I see the app open for about 5 seconds) and then closes without any error messages.

Looking in my applications folder, Spotify is not there. I tried going through my library to delete my cache and application support for a clean reinstall but those folders don't exist either. However, if I right click on the app for the 5 seconds it's there and click "show in finder" then it pops up saying that it's in the applications folder, but it is literally the only thing in that folder.

I also tried the trick of disconnecting from the internet and trying to open spotify in offline mode but the same thing happens. Can anyone please assist me with figuring out why this is happeing? Thanks!

Screen Shot 2015-03-13 at 10.44.23 AM copy.jpg
3 Replies

Try downloading and installing Spotify from this DMG file instead:

http://download.spotify.com/beta/Spotify.dmg

It will show the Spotify.app and you will be able to drag it into your applications folder

MattSudaSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Thank you for your assistance! I actually just figured it out a solution yesterday. I went into terminal and turned on hidden files and then I was able to find the spotify cache and application support files to delete and do a clean reinstall. It seems to be working now.

Thanks again for responding!

It appears my solution was shortlived. Now the program can open but if I try to actually DO anything in Spotify (search in the toolbar, go to the browse feature, play a song from one of my playlists, scroll through my playlists, etc) it crashes. The screen will flicker, it'll try to load something and then the program crashes with no error message.

I've tried again deleting the cache and application support folder, I've tried installing from the dmg file provided above, I've tried downloading and reinstalling it from the regular spotify download link, all result in the same unstable version I'm currently dealing with which will not function. Is this an issue because I updated? Is there another workaround that I haven't tried yet?

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated by me. This only seems to be happening on my macbook. The mobile version on my ipad is working fine but it sucks majorly to not have spotify available for me on my laptop.

Suggested posts