Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Mac OSX Stream Quality WORST than iOS

Mac OSX Stream Quality WORST than iOS

I've been testing this extensively for the past month, with different speakers and headphones, both with Bluetooth or without.

There are no more doubts: Spotify MAC OSX App streaming quality is inferior than the Spotify iOS App. 

I have "High-Quality Streaming (Premium Only)" turned on on MAC OSX and "Music Quality" set as "Very High" on iOS. Both are the highest quality options. 

I've tried cleaning the cache, reinstalling the app and restarting the computer. Nothing worked. 

I tested with old (saved) tracks and new never listened to before tracks. The quality difference is still there. 

I read this thread where they suggest to change, in the "Audio and Midi Setup" mac app, the output format to something higher than 44,100 Hz. This doesn't make any sense since no track in Spotify would be in a higher Sample Rate than 44,100 Hz (CD Standard Quality). 

So what is happening here? I'd appreciate someone from Spotify to shine a light in this matter. 

4 Replies

UP?

Any update on this? I used to use an old iPhone to feed my amp Spotify. I now prefer my Mac Mini as I use optical out to an external DAC. A bit peeved that my iPhone could still be outputting better!

For me this was an issue with sound quality in general when using bluetooth headphones on mac os. After changing the audio codec my headphones were using,  the quality was much better. I used this guide: https://www.macrumors.com/how-to/enable-aptx-aac-bluetooth-audio-codecs-macos/ 

Hello! 
I would like to dive a little bit deeper into the quality problem, I am using both Spotify and Apple music - lossless - and i have spotted some songs that have clear quality problems in both libraries.. fancy having a listen and giving me your opinion? 
Dissolve Me - alt-j: the track has some fuzzing in the beginning of the track and then a distinct popping noise at 0:20. 
Come a Little Closer - Cage The Elephant: the whole vocals in the track are terrible, constantly clipping and unlistenable on high quality headphones. The issue is there with different DACs and different wired headphones.. 
Are record labels cutting budget on sound engineers? Am I going crazy? Looking forward to hearing someone else's thought 

Suggested posts