Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Mac] Spotify crashes on launch - macOS 10.14 Mojave Beta 1

Solved!

[Mac] Spotify crashes on launch - macOS 10.14 Mojave Beta 1

Spotify Mac app is crashing on launch. I tried reinstalling it which allowed it to open, but as soon as I tried to play anything it crashed then continued to crash any subsequent launch. I hope this is a quick fix as I can't listen to music at work now!

Plan

Premium

Country

United Kingdom

Device

Apple MacBook Pro Retina (Mid 2015)

Operating System

macOS 10.14 Mojave Beta 1

31 Replies

I find your tone quite unnecessary.

If you read back in the thread you can see that I have, on more than one occasion, made it clear that I was well aware and ready to face issues. Of course I'm not naive enough to believe that everything is likely to work, nor would I be disparaged when it doesn't.

And for the record, I am more than qualified to speculate potential causes of the issue. I have been developing for Apple platforms for nigh on 5 years and have seen a lot in that time. Of course, bug fixing is very much a fine art and it could be something very obscure that defies expectations, again, I'm not naive enough to think otherwise.

I have the beta because I am a developer. Apple as well as third parties rely on the detailed reports that developers (ie, people who know what they're talking about) to help assist them in debugging the issues. They appreciate our speculations as just maybe, it fast tracks them to the solution.

Spotify expects to have issues with new software, as do I when I need to support my apps on new OS versions. It's part of the software development lifecycle. Apple's resposibility is to fix OS level issues and performance degredation, they don't touch third party apps.

Finally, at what part in this thread did I complain about there being issues? I simply bought it to the attention of the community and Spotify developers.

Please make sure you are educated in the whole context of the discussion before blasting your mouth.

</rant>

"Please make sure you are educated in the whole context of the discussion before blasting your mouth."

With naive claims done to the post I replied then I see it totally normal. 

You could have posted this post in the first place and not the other one that made you look like someone who is ready to cry when one of it's things don't work.

Good thing for you that you are a developer and you know about the bug fixing art and unfortunately it isn't that easy but Apple proved last year to be a nightmare and until now nothing has changed. Hopefully things are getting better with the releases coming during the whole summer.

If you want to bring something to the attention of the Developers that might change something you could very well contact Spotify directly as the response will get faster to them or post a solid idea.

Have a nice day 🙂

Marked as solution

Solved!

If you go to System Preferences->Security/Privacy->Privacy->Accessibility->Unlock->Plus sign->Applications->Spotify->Done, this will allow it to work

Note that I also had BarRemote (mac app store) installed, and you need to force quit that from Activity Monitor otherwise it will crash spotify

That solution not found for me. Crash any way.

Marked as solution

Thanks for those suggestions!

Turns out I had a similar situation as you. I have a program called SpotMenu installed to show what I'm listening to in the menu bar. Quitting this solved the issue!

It still does not work in any way. Reinstalling seems to work, but when closing, minimizing or reopening, it begins to crash continuously. I hope Spotify update.

@xKINGYx wrote:

Thanks for those suggestions!

Turns out I had a similar situation as you. I have a program called SpotMenu installed to show what I'm listening to in the menu bar. Quitting this solved the issue!

**bleep** FOR ME TOOOOO THANKSSSSS

Same issue here

Cleaned the caches, deleted the app, reinstalled, granted Accesibility and Application Data, still crashes whenever I try to play something

So it seems that by default, Spotify *should* work on Mojave beta 1 as long as you add it under "Accessibility" & "Application Data" in Security & Privacy > Privacy, and *do not* have any conflicting apps. (I'm guessing apps that try to "access" Spotify's state)

For me the app that was causing Spotify to crash was uBar.

Now it's working fine 👍

Solved. Uninstalling Hyperdock, Spotify found again. (Not added in Applications Data).

Ubar was doing the same for me, thank you!!

I tried this, and it didn't work. Spotify loads, but the window is a plain, black screen (I do see a menu bar). Tried turning off Dark Mode, rebooting, etc, but no luck.

-EDIT- Took a full shutdown for it to work. First reboot required force-quitting the Spotify application, and that didn't seem to fix it. Doing a full shutdown with no applications open, etc, got it to work.

Suggested posts