Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Mac app keeps changing devices

Mac app keeps changing devices

Plan 

Premium

Country

USA

Device

Any Mac Desktop

Operating System

10.14/10.15

My Question or Issue

The app will switch speakers if I pause a playlist for an extended time or when a playlist stops. I never listen to Spotify through my computer speakers but every day - multiple times a day - I have to reselect my Sonos speakers. Can you please make it so that it keeps the current device active and allows a default speaker selection for a given device?

6 Replies

Hey @tlarvenz - help's here!

Just to clarify, do you mean that Spotify will disconnect from your Sonos speakers and switch back to your Mac after a while? Or do you mean that it switches to another Connect device altogether?

Once we have that cleared up, we'll know what to suggest next.

Thanks! Keep us posted 🙂

It disconnects from the Sonos speakers and reverts back to the Mac. I've literally never (intentionally) played anything through my Mac and yet whenever I sit down to listen to something, Spotify switches to the Mac internal speakers. I'm not quitting the program and relaunching it. When it sits idle for a while, it reverts to the Mac speakers.

Need any more info?

Hey @tlarvenz,

Thanks for getting back to us with that clarification - no more info needed for now, thanks 🙂

I just found a similar thread in the Community which suggests that updating the Sonos device's firmware should resolve the issue.

Could you check out this post for the details and see if those suggestions resolve your issue?

Thanks! Keep us posted 🙂

Didn't help, unfortunately. I've got all the latest versions of all the apps, including the mac apps for both Sonos and Spotify as well as the latest iOS apps for both. I'm listening on brand new Play 5 gen 2s, with the latest firmware (auto update is enabled too, fwiw), so I'm completely up to date. I had the same issue with my gen 1 play 5s, which the gen2 replaced. Any other ideas?

Hey @tlarvenz,

Thanks for checking out that thread.

Note that what you described above is confirmed as expected behaviour by the relevant support article, which states the following:

"Note: If you pause for more than 10 minutes you may need to reconnect."

Out of interest, are you able to reproduce this by logging into a different account? If so, then that would confirm the above statement.

If not, let us know and we can take a closer look.

Thanks - keep us posted!

Suggested posts