Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Mac app reinstalling *all* *the* *time*

Mac app reinstalling *all* *the* *time*

Plan

Premium

Country

UK

Device

Macbook Pro early 2015

Operating System

MacOS High Sierra

My Question or Issue

Often (as in a few times a week) I try to open Spotify, and...

• It renames the app "Spotify (old)"
  • It opens my browser and takes me to the Spotify app dowload page
  • I have to download, re-install and manually remove the (old) app
  • ... then I can use Spotify.

It's massively annoying. I've tried things like completely removing Spotify, preferences, stuff in /Library, plists etc etc and re-installing. This worked (as in a fresh install needed me to log in etc etc) but in a couple of days, same issue.

It's almost as if when an app update is pushed my Mac can't update the app properly and so starts this cycle.

Any ideas? Thanks!

5 Replies

Hey, thanks for reaching out.

I know it sounds simple, but it's often overlooked. Could you try restarting your device? If that doesn't help, try a quick clean reinstallation of the app. Just follow the steps here.

If you're still having trouble, could you let me know the exact version of Spotify and the exact version of the operating system you're running?

I'll see what I can suggest!

Hi @ededededed

It sounds like some of the app files got corrupted somehow.

If @Loxer's suggestions don't work, I suggest downloading this free app cleaner. 

Download button is on the right side.

http://freemacsoft.net/appcleaner/

When you open up the app, click the search icon and search for Spotify and it will automatically find and delete all files on your computer related to Spotify.

After that, download and reinstall Spotify.

Hope this helps!

BittencourtSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Yes, I have tried restarting!

App version is 1.0.85.259.g4ab01679 - but it updates every time I'm forced to reinstall, so I doubt it's a version-specific issue.

Hey @ededededed,

Please try the steps from the link I provided earlier or use the app suggested by @Bittencourt.

If they don't work please try creating another user account on your Mac and see if it makes any difference.

Let me know how it goes 🙂

I've already manually removed everything to do with Spotify and re-installed. I guess it's possible I missed something though, I'll try appcleaner.

Suggested posts