Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

MacOS desktop app becomes unresponsive after laptop wakes up from sleep

MacOS desktop app becomes unresponsive after laptop wakes up from sleep

When I come back from lunch after 1h and reopen my Macbook, the buttons are unresponsive. When I try to quit the app, the window disappears but the program stays running in the background and I need to force quit. After reopening it works fine again.
7 Replies

I am encountering the same issue with Spotify for macOS (Intel) 1.2.4.912.g949d5fd0

Hey folks,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community and welcome.

These types of cases are usually related to some damaged cache stored on your Mac. In this case, we'd first recommend performing a clean reinstall of the app by following the steps in this article. This is often an overlooked step, but it's more complete than a quick one and can be helpful in getting rid of any cache that might be causing trouble.

If the issue persists, check your app settings to see if the option "Enable hardware acceleration" is turned ON. If so, turn it OFF and try again.

Hope this helps. Let us know how it goes.

OscarDCModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Hello OscarDC,

I completely reinstalled Spotify. CCleaner even found traces of Spotify that weren't mentioned in the clean reinstall method. Even after doing that, I am still experiencing the same issue. I just came back from work and my GUI was unresponsive. I couldn't even use the top bar menu items on MacOS when clicking on them (to find "hardware acceleration" in the settings).

Thank you. 🙂

Hey there @N4utilusS,

Thanks for posting in the Community.

We'd recommend that you check for a pending update for your MacOS. If there is one - make sure you install it. You'll find the exact steps for how to do that here.

If you're still experiencing this, we'd like to ask you to provide any additional details (such as device's make, model and OS) here in this thread. Don't forget to mention the exact Spotify version you're currently running as well. Those specifics will be very helpful to our investigation and we can then relay the information to our tech team. 

We'll be on the lookout for your update. 

LyubkaModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.

No update and anyway it should not affect Spotify in that way I think.

My PC:

Macbook Pro 15 inch 2018

MacOS Ventura 13.3.1

Spotify for macOS (Intel)
1.2.10.760.g52970952

I noticed more recently as well that after resuming playing, the audio is sputtering. Restarting the app fixes it as well.

Same problem here... black screen on startup and have to force quit the application every time. Putting mac in sleep and wake up gives the same problem.

Reinstall fixes the problem for a day and then back to the same behaviour. No updates of Mac Os fixes the problem. This has been an issue since I bought my M1 Max Macbook Pro for over a year. Spotify says a fix is on its way but it never gets fixed. Hundreds of comments on Reddit and on forums about this so we are not alone with our M1 Macs... 

Update. The issue seems to have disappeared on my PC. Thanks.

Suggested posts