Media Keys for Podcasts not working as expected

Plan

Irrelevant

Country irrelevant

Device

Macbook

Operating System

Mac OS X 10.15.6

For podcasts I had expected the Previous/Forward media keys to work differently on my mac. I wanted it to skip 15secs forward/backwards using the media keys, but instead spotify skips the entire podcast.

This Idea suggests that is was implemented and working, but it's not working here.

Thx,

5 Replies

Hey there @MrFranks!

Thanks for reaching out to us about this and sorry for the delayed reply.

You can fast forward/rewind both podcast episodes and songs using the arrow keys and holding Shift at the same time.

Hope this info helps. Let us know if have trouble with this and we'll see what else we can suggest.

Take care!

ElenaModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Hi Elena,

Thx for responding, but this is only good inside the Spotify application. I want to jump forward and backward 15 secs outside the application, while doing other things on my computer. Apple's own Podcast also does it like this as well, the media keys are bound to the jump forward/backward functionality.

Kr, Franky

Hey @MrFranks!

Thanks for clarifying, we've taken a closer look and it looks like this is not possible with the media keys on desktop yet.

We've gone ahead and edited the idea in order to avoid further confusion. We appreciate you pointing this out to us and we apologize for the misunderstanding.

One of our Rockstars has created a new idea for the implementation of the feature on desktop and we recommend leaving a +Vote and subscribing to the thread for updates.

We'll be here if there's anything else that we can do for you!

ElenaModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Hi,

Yes thank you, but still a bit weird way of addressing this imo. Because it is not an idea; this is an inherent issue with the desktop application.

Couple of reason why I'm thinking this:
1. Because on the mobile app it is designed like this as well: the media keys adapt with podcasts to skipping forward and backwards 15 secs. Since it's mobile, with media keys I mean the keys that appear on your lock screen, as well as any external controllers such as headphones with a button you have connected, will change their behaviour.
2. Also, from a UX point of view, there is not really a use-case for skipping blindly through entire episodes, outside the app. There is no podcast listener in this world that does this.

It works on google podcasts so I was hoping it would work here.

Suggested posts