Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Music On Mute

Music On Mute

Hi Everyone! 🙂

My Mac desktop version has stopped playing music on Spotify.  When I click to play a song, the song's album cover and the pause button will appear, the progress through the song moves but my Mac doesn't play anything at all. Sound on my Mac is working perfectly - its just Spotify. The volume button is stuck on mute for some reason and I have already freshly reinstalled, and I am running the most resent macOS.

Your help is really appreciated!

Light x Love

Glenda

Plan

Premium

Device

(Macbook Air late 2015)

Operating System

(macOS Big Sur)

3 Replies

Hey @GlendaM,

Thanks for reaching out about this in the Community!

You can try to manually set the default sound output device on your Mac. Try changing that and see if it helps.

Also, let us know the exact version of your Spotify and if you can turn the volume up once you've started a song. 

We'll be on the lookout for your reply.

AlexModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

This advice does not solve anything.

I have the same problem in MacOS Big Sur.
Sometimes Spotify decides to stop playing the sound. I have to switch among audio outputs
several times to internal speakers and back, after 2-3 times the Spotify sounds finally starts.
Seems to me that Apple wants to force me to migrate from Spotify to Apple music 🙂

Hey there @ondrejp

Thanks for reaching out about this. 

Would you mind letting us know if you've already tried a clean reinstall of the app? This is often an overlooked step, but it can be helpful to get rid of any corrupted files that might be causing trouble. 

If this doesn't do the trick, could you let us know the exact Spotify version you're currently running so we can take a better look?

Keep us posted. 

NovyModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a "Like".
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Suggested posts