Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Music not playing on Desktop App (Mac). Fine elsewhere

Music not playing on Desktop App (Mac). Fine elsewhere

My desktop app for Mac just updated a few days ago to  1.0.88.353.g15c26ea1

Since then I have had numerous issues where certain albums or tracks will not play at all on the Desktop app, where I am getting the "Spotify can't play this right now...." message

However, I can play perfectly fine on iOS or the web player

An album in case is "First Rays of the New Rising Sun" by Jimi Hendrix. Does not play any track at all on Desktop

This is unacceptable

Please advise

3 Replies

Hi there!

I know it sounds simple, but it's often overlooked. Could you try restarting your device? If that doesn't help, try a quick clean reinstall of the app. Just follow these steps.

If you're still having trouble, could you let me know the exact version of Spotify and the exact version of the operating system you're running?

I'll see what I can suggest next!

I find it a damning indictement that the response to this is to restart your system. Really showers Spotify with praise that this is a solution!

This, along with the shocking memory leaks on MacOS (Up to 20GB for me at one time) shows what a poor bit of coding is evident here on your desktop application

The answer. No. Restarting did not work. I am also loathed to uninstall and reinstall due to my offline tracks I have, that are tied to playlists and sync to my phone

The album still doesnt play on my desktop but continues to play with no problem on iOS and my Samsung TV

As already stated the version of desktop Spotify is 1.0.88.353.g15c26ea1, my version of MacOS is 10.13.6

I do not hold out help for a solution

Hey @David_Corcoran.

Thanks for getting back to us.

We do recommend a clean reinstall, as suggested by @Loxer. This helps resolve a variety of different issues you might be having with the app. You can always redownload your offline playlists after your perform the reinstall.

Before reinstalling, please make sure to do the following:

• Delete ~/Library/Caches/com.spotify.client
  • Delete ~/Library/Application Support/Spotify
  • Delete all copies of Spotify.app from your system (look in ~/Applications too, it gets auto-installed in there).

Let us know how it goes! If you still need help, we'll be right here 🙂

P

Suggested posts