Premium

Country

United States of America

Device

MacBook Air (2020, M1)

Operating System

macOS Big Sur 11.4

My Issue

Closing the MacBook Air's lid and putting it into sleep mode (while music is playing on Spotify) results in music pausing. This behavior is expected. The problem occurs is when you open the MacBook back from sleep mode and try to play the music again. You are met with a "Can't play the current song" error. This occurs on both the Apple Silicon Beta version and latest version (1.1.62.583.gdac868ed-a). 

How to reproduce

1. Open Spotify and play any track

2. Close MacBook Air lid whilst having music playing

3. Open MacBook lid, unlock Mac if necessary, and resume music. Issue can be observed.

I recorded the issue on my phone but the file was was too large to upload here, I instead opted to upload it on Google and share using this link: 

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1NwP0ZCTOEd_CJhqhgUtcvyofaAVKT-x6/view?usp=sharing

I hope this is useful information for developers to look into and hopefully come to a resolution.

Top Answer
AlejaR

Hey folks,

Thanks for all the info shared and your replies.

In this case, in order to pass this important info to the right team, we'll need you to send us the following:

• Exact make/model and OS of the affected device.
  • Exact Spotify version you're running in the affected device.
  • A list of the troubleshooting you've tried so far.
  • A video recording, if possible, of the behavior described. You can attach the videos in your next reply in mp4 format, or you can also upload them to YouTube or Google drive and make them public, so we can visualize them.

If you've already sent us some of these details, no worries, you can send us the remaining ones. Keep in mind it's important you check the version you have running now.

Keep us in the loop!

58 Replies

I have the same issue (MacBook Pro, M1, MacOS 12.6). So far the only fix is to kill + restart Spotify app.

Hi Spotify,

I have completed all of the troubleshooting steps that were suggested, but the issue persists. I am having this issue exclusively with the Spotify MacOS app, and it is becoming increasingly frustrating. It would be much appreciated if you could replicate the issue and find a permanent solution.

Device: Macbook Pro (M2), 2022

macOS: Ventura 13.1
Spotify version: Apple Silicon 1.2.0.1165.gabf054ab

(deleted)

Anyone find a solution to this issue... My IT department is stumped... M1 MacBook Pro... Spotify always locks up and won't play after going to sleep and waking up. Have to Open-click to force quite and restart Spotify... ALL THE TIME... very annoying.

On my M1 MacBook Pro the hardware acceleration has been turned off for ~a year already.
This hiccup didn't use to happen; probably one of the Spotify updates broke the working version: when I got my MacBook Pro new ~1 year ago Spotify would resume play after wakeup Just Fine.
I'm on MacOS 12.6, can't upgrade to Ventura yet - but again it used to work!

Hey @bkohagen,

Welcome to the Community and thank you for joining the conversation.

Just to be on the same page, would you mind sharing the troubleshooting you've done so far? This is to send more accurate responses and avoid repeating processes.

Also, to continue investigating your case, include in your next response the make, model and OS version of your device, along with the Spotify version you're currently running.

We'll be on the lookout.

OscarDCModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Everything that has been suggested has been tried.

Macbook Pro 14" M1 Max

Monterey OS - Latest

Spotify - Latest... I just hit the update button this morning

I have rebooted, unbooted, rebooted, uninstalled, reinstalled, stood on one foot while performing reboot while reseting

PRAM, I've burned incense and prayed to the god of a 1000 system crashes...

And yes, I even tried turning off and back on the computer... this problem has existed since last fall... it's just annoying and I'd love to see it fixed...

Not sure what else to say, other than of course, this morning it works fine... 

It is driving me *nuts*

But it may have to do with networking: Spotify hangs after I unlock the screen and then when you try to switch to a different playlist you see the "busy opening" animation (the animated dots). Friend activity: click it and it will try to load that but nothing happens. The home tab / destination is the only one that seems to load some content but if you then click anything, it hangs trying to load that page (I'm convinced Spotify desktop "app" is a souped-up webbrowser, it's an Electron app https://www.electronjs.org/ )

(Offhand observation: I listen ~6hrs / day  on average and get "casual listener" status? Interesting.)

I am having this issue as well. I have tried with and without the Hardware acceleration. I have uninstalled and reinstalled and still if freezes. I get an Application Not Responding and I have to force quit and reopen.

processor: Intel

version: Spotify for macOS (Intel) 1.2.3.1115.gd61a8f5c

Hi guys, 

I'm also having the exact same same issue with my Macbook Pro M1 Pro for a long time already.. 

Spotify voor macOS (Apple Silicon)
1.2.3.1115.gd61a8f5c

MacOS Ventura 13.1

Issue persists for quite some time.. Doesn't it become time you took serious look into this? 

I have tried uninstalling Spotify already and disabling hardware acceleration also doesn't help. 

Reading all the suggestions and support option before, I am wondering if you ever tested this on a Mac.. 

Hey there folks,

Thank you for your replies in this thread and apologies for the delayed response.

As we haven’t seen any similar posts about this recently, could you let us know if you’re still experiencing this behavior?

Additionally, it'd be great if you share with us the exact time that this issue occurred last, the time zone and the exact Spotify version you're currently running. We've noticed that some of you already shared theirs but it's worth mentioning that there a new Desktop update that we've launched recently and we'd like to know if you're running this version.  

We'll be on the lookout for your updates. 

LyubkaModerator

I'm in the US, west coast. This issue just occurred moments ago, and has occurred on three new M1 MacBook Pros. I've tried with hardware acceleration enabled and disabled, and toggling that feature changes nothing. I've tried uninstalling/reinstalling, despite the fact that the issue occurs on a completely new laptop with a fresh install.

Spotify for macOS (Apple Silicon)
1.2.5.1006.g22820f93

16-inch, 2021

Apple M1 Pro

macOS 13.2.1 (22D68)

I still see the problem all the time.

I have a Thunderbolt docking station, and am wondering if that's part of the problem. @clintonb, do you have a docking station or KVM by any chance?

BTW @Lyubka it is very hit or miss whether or not I receive notifications of new posts on this thread. I recevied a notifcation for @clintonb's last post, but not yours.

I am also experiencing this issue on an M1 MacBook Pro attached to a Thunderbolt Display.

I see this all the time still as well. I made a long reply about all the trouble shooting steps I did but I don’t know where it ended up. I did everything that was ever mentioned in this thread with no luck. 

I do have an external display connected by thunderbolt but I don’t see how that would cause the issue. 

I connect to an external monitor via USB-C. I cannot recall if this issue occurs when disconnected from the monitor.

Just tested this out without my external monitor connected to my M1 Pro MacBook Pro and it still happens. Please fix this Spotify! It’s so frustrating

I have more anecdata. Let the computer sleep overnight, disconnected from everything. Spotify worked fine in the morning.

Slept for a few minutes over lunch, while connected to the monitor (on the right-side port), and Spotify was unresponsive. The interaction with USB-C and sleep/power management seems to break something in Spotify.

Hi there, I am experiencing the same issue (Mac mini m1)  latest OS. AND I have one more thing to add: when in sleep mode Spotify crashes and stops the automatic shut down of my Mac at nite. 

Hey folks,

Thanks for all the info shared and your replies.

In this case, in order to pass this important info to the right team, we'll need you to send us the following:

• Exact make/model and OS of the affected device.
  • Exact Spotify version you're running in the affected device.
  • A list of the troubleshooting you've tried so far.
  • A video recording, if possible, of the behavior described. You can attach the videos in your next reply in mp4 format, or you can also upload them to YouTube or Google drive and make them public, so we can visualize them.

If you've already sent us some of these details, no worries, you can send us the remaining ones. Keep in mind it's important you check the version you have running now.

Keep us in the loop!

AlejaRModerator

Suggested posts