Premium

Country

United States of America

Device

MacBook Air (2020, M1)

Operating System

macOS Big Sur 11.4

My Issue

Closing the MacBook Air's lid and putting it into sleep mode (while music is playing on Spotify) results in music pausing. This behavior is expected. The problem occurs is when you open the MacBook back from sleep mode and try to play the music again. You are met with a "Can't play the current song" error. This occurs on both the Apple Silicon Beta version and latest version (1.1.62.583.gdac868ed-a). 

How to reproduce

1. Open Spotify and play any track

2. Close MacBook Air lid whilst having music playing

3. Open MacBook lid, unlock Mac if necessary, and resume music. Issue can be observed.

I recorded the issue on my phone but the file was was too large to upload here, I instead opted to upload it on Google and share using this link: 

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1NwP0ZCTOEd_CJhqhgUtcvyofaAVKT-x6/view?usp=sharing

I hope this is useful information for developers to look into and hopefully come to a resolution.

Top Answer
AlejaR

Hey folks,

Thanks for all the info shared and your replies.

In this case, in order to pass this important info to the right team, we'll need you to send us the following:

• Exact make/model and OS of the affected device.
  • Exact Spotify version you're running in the affected device.
  • A list of the troubleshooting you've tried so far.
  • A video recording, if possible, of the behavior described. You can attach the videos in your next reply in mp4 format, or you can also upload them to YouTube or Google drive and make them public, so we can visualize them.

If you've already sent us some of these details, no worries, you can send us the remaining ones. Keep in mind it's important you check the version you have running now.

Keep us in the loop!

58 Replies

Just so Spotify support is aware, this isn't just an ARM problem, it happens on my Intel MacBook Pro at least twice a day now. 

Spotify for macOS (Intel)
1.2.6.863.ge7902f05

As with all the others I've done the uninstall / reinstall / wipe preferences / sacrifice a (insert name of sacrificial critter here). Still happens. Just happened again this morning.

Still happening in March 2023. Every time my computer goes to sleep, when I wake it up. Spotify can't play the current song, search doesn't work, playing a different song doesn't work, and it hangs when I quit. Force quitting and opening spotify again solves the issue. M2 Ultra 16" MBP

Same issue here. More than a year and still not fixed. Apple music looking very tempting right now.

I do get the impression that having USB-C accessories connected to the MacBookPro may have an effect - I've gone some time w/o Spotify hanging, but now that I have my USB-C hub connected Spotify reacts differently to e.g. keyboard control (as in: only when the application has focus).

Just chiming in. This keeps happening, at least twice a day. I have to Force Quit the application everytime it happens.

Hey folks,

Thanks for your replies.

In this case, keep in mind that we'll need all the details you can find in the pinned message of the thread so we can forward them onto the right team. That way, they can check what's exactly happening. That being said, we'd recommend taking a look at them and posting them.

If perhaps you've sent some of them in the past, you can send just the remaining ones, but keep in mind we'll need the exact OS and Spotify versions you're currently running.

We'll be in the lookout!

AlejaRModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.

System: Apple M1 Pro MacOS Ventura 13.2.1

Spotify Version: Spotify for macOS (Apple Silicon) 1.2.9.743.g85d9593d

Things I've tried:

Spotify is completely unresponsive. Need to Force Quit the application.

Exactly the same issue. Force Quit or killing all the processes with "Spotify" in them solves it till the next Mac sleep.

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: MacBook Pro

Model Identifier: MacBookPro18,3

Chip: Apple M1 Pro

Total Number of Cores: 10 (8 performance and 2 efficiency)

Memory: 32 GB

System Firmware Version: 7459.141.1

OS Loader Version: 7459.141.1

System Software Overview:

System Version: macOS 12.6 (21G115)

Kernel Version: Darwin 21.6.0

Spotify for macOS (Apple Silicon)
1.2.10.760.g52970952

Hey there folks,

Thank you for your replies in this thread and for providing the requested details. 

@sp-niemand, would you mind letting us know what troubleshooting you've tried as well? 

@charlie632, we've noticed that you're using an outdated version of the Spotify App. Could you please try to update and let us know if you're still experiencing this?

We'll be on the lookout for your update. 

LyubkaModerator

I want to provide an update—I haven’t had this issue for about a month or
two now 🎉. All I can say is make sure you update to macOS Ventura and have
the latest Spotify version.

One of the things I did back when I was having this issue was delete Spotify completely from my computer including the files in ~/Library/Application Support. That may have been what ended up fixing it. 

Hey @sam-,

Thank you for joining the conversation. 

We're glad to know that everything is working fine now. We appreciate the time you took following the process and sharing what works for you. Hopefully, this tip will help other users too.

In case you need anything else, remember that we're just a post away.

Cheers!

OscarDCModerator
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Same issue here.

My PC:

Macbook Pro 15 inch 2018

MacOS Ventura 13.3.1

Spotify for macOS (Intel)
1.2.10.760.g52970952

I noticed more recently as well that after resuming playing, the audio is sputtering. Restarting the app fixes it.

I’ve actually also noticed the sputtering audio recently. It doesn’t always
happen but sometimes it happens when I wake my computer from sleep and
start playing music.

Same issue here, is happening on my new laptop, but happened also on previous one (~around 8months ago), so I doubt that re-installing it will magically fix it, as fix was not implemented in a first place.

Sometimes when I close the lid, come back Spotify is frozen, and I have to force quit it.

MacBook Pro 16-inch 2023

macOS Ventura 13.2

1.2.11.916.geb595a67

Hey @Ppozniak,

Thank you for your message.

We appreciate all the info you've included in your response. 

In order to continue investigating this case with the relevant team, @clintonb, @charlie632, @sp-niemand, and @N4utilusS, would you mind confirming if you still have this issue? If so, could you confirm if the versions are still the same as the ones you sent or include the new versions in your next response?

We'll be on the lookout.

OscarDCModerator
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Bump

This is still a thing.
I used to think it was just my old computer but now I have a brand new computer and Spotify still does this

So its not the computer or the running environment.

Hello, the issue seems to have disappeared on my PC. Super happy. Thank you.

This issue still alive, many years later.

Chip: Apple M1 Max

Memory: 64GB

MacOS: 14.2.1 (23C71)

1.2.30.1135.g02fef27a

Workaround: Quit Spotify and relaunch it...

Suggested posts