New "Automix" setting to "allow smooth transitions between songs in a playlist"?

Solved!

New "Automix" setting to "allow smooth transitions between songs in a playlist"?

delysid23
Regular

I just noticed in the Mac desktop version of Spotify what seems to be a new setting, called Automix, that promises to "allow smooth transitions between songs in a playlist".  It's different than the Autoplay and Crossfade options.

But what is it, exactly?  What does enabling this Automix setting actually do, how does it change the listening experience?  I haven't been able to find anything about it in the online Spotify help or the Spotify Community.

Can anyone explain just what this Automix setting does to "allow smooth transitions between songs"?

I've attached a screenshot showing the Automix setting, from the Mac desktop version of Spotify.

Screen Shot 2019-09-12 at 8.46.45 PM.png
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solution!

Re: New "Automix" setting to "allow smooth transitions between songs in a playlist&qu

jacobtheclassic
Casual Listener

I was also curious to know what this setting was about. After a little research and experimentation, I learned that there is a feature with some playlists by Spotify (Bass Arcade, Stepping Out, etc) that cross-fades songs, skips intros/outros, and even loops certain end sections to transition "smoother" between songs. The automix setting gives you the option to turn this feature on or off for these playlists, whereas before, it was just consistently occuring with those playlists. I even recently noticed some transition effects on my discover weekly playlist. Below is an article more about the automix feature. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/djtechtools.com/amp/2018/03/12/spotify-now-auto-mixing-tracks-in-playli...

View solution in original post

8 Replies

Re: New "Automix" setting to "allow smooth transitions between songs in a playlist&qu

skitfish
Regular

I second this question.

I thought I could search for 'automix' in the Spotify docs, but apparently this feature has been released without any obvious public documentation.

Solution!

jacobtheclassic
Casual Listener

I was also curious to know what this setting was about. After a little research and experimentation, I learned that there is a feature with some playlists by Spotify (Bass Arcade, Stepping Out, etc) that cross-fades songs, skips intros/outros, and even loops certain end sections to transition "smoother" between songs. The automix setting gives you the option to turn this feature on or off for these playlists, whereas before, it was just consistently occuring with those playlists. I even recently noticed some transition effects on my discover weekly playlist. Below is an article more about the automix feature. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/djtechtools.com/amp/2018/03/12/spotify-now-auto-mixing-tracks-in-playli...

View solution in original post

Rock Star 16
Rock Star 16

Hey @delysid23, welcome to the Community.

Hope you're doing great!

At Spotify, they’re often testing and launching improvements and new features.

You can learn for more info on why you see it here

As @jacobtheclassic explained you now have an option to turn this feature in certain playlists of if you don't like crossfading.

LoxerRock Star 16
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Re: New "Automix" setting to "allow smooth transitions between songs in a playlist&am

skitfish
Regular

Thanks very much for explaining what it does.

It's odd to me that Spotify didn't document this; they could have basically said what you said.

Does having both Automix AND Crossfade enabled impact one or the other, in an Automix-supported playlist?

Re: New "Automix" setting to "allow smooth transitions between songs in a playlist&am

jacobtheclassic
Casual Listener

That's a great question! So I did a little more experimentation using the iOS app and here are my findings:

1. the gapless playback setting overrides the crossfade feature, so if gapless playback is on, you won't get the crossfade affect between tracks. 

2. the Automix feature overrides crossfading on Spotify playlists that utilize the Automix feature. However, crossfading still applies to non-Spotify playlists/albums if turned on and gapless playback is off.

Also, I found that the Automix effects were not found on all the Spotify playlists that I tested. For instance, I noticed it on the playlists Bass Arcade and Lo-Fi Beats, but not on Butter.

Hope this answers your question!

skitfish
Regular

mjahrami

Gapless doesn’t work on all Spotify playlists, it also doesn’t work on your personal playlists.
Crossfade works everytime when the gapless is off.

antimatter65

No information and forced switch on without telling anyone. Please switch off cross-fade, automix, volume leveling by default Spotify! LEAVE MY MUSIC ALONE SPOTIFY!! 🤬 I just want to listen to the music the way the artist produced it! FFS! 

SUGGESTED POSTS