Newest (updated?) versions of songs don't play on my Mac

Plan

Premium

Country

United States

Device

(MacBook Pro late-2013)

My Question or Issue

So I've noticed songs which were initially released on Spotify and had new versions created and re-uploaded to Spotify (presumably to take the place of the original). However, the newest versions of these songs DON'T play from my Mac.

Examples: Rapper NAV's verse on 'YOSEMITE' from Travis Scott's 'ASTROWORLD' was updated in August because of how quiet his part was on the track compared to the other artists. The updated song with the volume correction plays on my iPhone 6+ but still not on my Mac after all these months (I've tried deleting and resaving the album too, multiple times). 

With rapper Young Thug's 'On The Run', he recently updated the song to feature fellow rapper Offset on it and again, this change is not visible on Mac even though the artist and others have confirmed that the new version of the track is on Spotify and working for others. 

I just deleted and reinstalled Spotify on my Mac thinking that might be the problem (I have the latest version of Spotify) but in both cases above the corrected versions still don't play, yet my iPhone has them and can play them. Help!

8 Replies

Hi there!

I know it sounds simple, but it's often overlooked. Could you try restarting your device? Sorry if this may sound a bit repetitive but if that doesn't help, try a quick clean reinstall of the app by following these steps.

Could also share the links to those songs from your end?

If you're still having trouble, could you let me know the exact version of Spotify and the exact version of the operating system you're running?

I'll see what I can suggest next!

P.S. I do like the same artists you do as far 😆

Hey @NpXX,

Thanks for sharing them 🙂

I tested them on my end and everything's fine. Have you installed all the latest updates? 

I know it sounds simple, but it's often overlooked. Could you try restarting your device? If that doesn't help, try a quick clean reinstall of the app. Just follow these steps.

If you're still having trouble, could you let me know the exact version of Spotify and the exact version of the operating system you're running?

I'll see what I can suggest next!

Thanks for the help!

Yeah, I deleted Spotify from my computer and redownloaded/installed from Spotify's website within the last hour. 

'On The Run' added verse might not be on some streaming services yet so that might legitimately not be a problem. In any case, the Nav verse is still sounding like it was recorded a galaxy away. 

Hey @NpXX,

Thanks for letting me know 🙂

I tested both song, NAV has the same sound in other platforms as well 😅, same volume.

About the other song from Young Thug, you mean it's not the right song because the one that's available is able to play.

Thanks!

Very odd, but in the time between your last message I started listening to Spotify on my iPhone and later used started using my computer. Out of habit, I opened Spotify on my computer and started controlling my iPhone's queue from it. 

I noticed that a new update was available (I just installed Spotify all over from Spotify's website within the last 2-3 hours now) so I updated it and restarted from my computer. I started playing 'YOSEMITE' again and the updated version played.

Not sure if it was because I was still technically listening from my phone or just using my computer's controls so I'll update very soon. 

Uh oh. Just tried it again, listening straight from the computer, and his verse is still as quiet as when it released.

Unfortunately that is up to the artist and their distributor to fix this on Spotify.

I'd recommend checking this support article for more. 🙂

Suggested posts