Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Next / Previous media keys don't work on 3rd Party Keyboard, Play/Pause does work. [MAC]

Solved!

Next / Previous media keys don't work on 3rd Party Keyboard, Play/Pause does work. [MAC]

Hello!

So I am using a Logitech G710+ keyboard with my Mac (running 10.9) , and the media keys (Play/Pause, Stop, Next and Previous) work perfectly fine with iTunes, even in background.

Now, when I use Spotify, I usually quit iTunes (to stop conflicts), but only the Play/Pause key seems to work.

It does work in the background, which is good, but crucially the Next / Previous keys don't work at all.

Any ideas? 

37 Replies

I've got a temporary fix for this which is a useful program in its own right.

http://beardedspice.com/

This program takes control of media keys and sends the output to the select media player (iTunes, Spotify, Soundcloud (on chrome)) etc...

BeardedSpice understands all the keys and now I can go next/prev easily on spotify.

Hope this helps,

Cheers

I have played with the USB codes that my keyboards sends OS X, and I have found the Spotify works flawlessly with Rewind (0xB4) and Fast-foward (0xB3) instead of Previous (0xB6) and Next (0xB5).

How would you go about changing these codes?

@alxz310, I have a custom keyboard that I have modified the firmware to do what I want. (http://winkeyless.kr/). This is not something that you can do on a typical case. But what this does show is that for some reason Spotify (and probably most Mac programs) uses Rewind and FF opposed to next and previous.

You can also use the software Karabiner to remap what the keys do. This was not an option for me cause I am using on my work computer and it is not a verified software.

I just got my Das Keyboard 4 today, I got Spotify Premium last week.

I am extremely disappointed that I can't skip tracks with the media keys.

Same issue for me!

Keyboard: daskeyboard

Would be nice with a fix for this.

Marked as solution

This fix from WASD keyboards support does the trick on my Cooler Master CM Storm Quickfire XT: http://support.wasdkeyboards.com/customer/portal/articles/1925899-fixing-spotify-media-keys-issue-in...

Edit: my keyboard is the nordic ISO variant if that makes a difference.

This worked for me on my logitech keyboard. Thank You! Hopefully Spotify can use this information to create their own fix or perhaps Enable Media keys option for 3rd party keyboards. 

Daniel

This is only a workaround, still waiting for a official fix.

I've been waiting for a fix for nearly a year and a half, my Logitech keyboard designed for OS X works great with spotify on Windows 10, but not El Capitan.

@Swanny: I love how you say « if » instead of « when »…

I also have that problem, by the way. And for some reason, the Karabiner workaround isn’t working for me..Logitech K380. If anyone has an idea, do please tell me 🙂

€: I just realised.. this thread was created before a new Mac subforum was created, so maybe a mod could move it?

Marked as solution

The BeardedSpice app is working great (allthough it does not control my youtube videos)

You’re right! I thought it only worked with Spotify Web, but hurray it also works for the Mac app 🙂 Thanks !

Thanks, this solution worked for me on a generic wireless apple keyboard

I just purchased the Corsair K70 RGB mechanical keyboard, and the Karabiner solution did not work for me.

http://support.wasdkeyboards.com/customer/portal/articles/1925899-fixing-spotify-media-keys-issue-in... worked for me, too, but I have a Das Pro 4 (for Mac). The hard part is knowing the key codes that will work with Spotify. I'd played around to know the codes for my media keys, so I was fairly confident this would work, and it looks like it did. Should work with any hardware level media keys recognized by ConsumerKeyCode::MUSIC_PREV, etc. I only tried it in a couple other apps, but it looks like it does not break NEXT/PREV.

Saved my day, thank you Sir!

Did the trick, das keyboard, macbook pro

Suggested posts