Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

No favourite songs and i can't even play music

Solved!

No favourite songs and i can't even play music

Spotify Free

Italy

iMac Late 2015 

macOS 10.13.4

Hi, i wanted to listen to a newly released song so i searched for it, pressed play but... nothing happened. In the bottom i had the progress bar empty, an empty album icon and no infos. 

So i uninstalled Spotify and reinstalled. With no success. Infact now i have the same issue with EVERY SONG i try to listen to. And also i have all albums empty, my favourites but also Spotify created ones!!

Help me please 😞

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hi @Nliicoon and @zipippino ! 🙂

Thanks for your patience while I looked more into the issue. I have another suggestion that I hope can help you both. Please try the following steps and let me know if you are still having trouble.  

1. Open Finder and, in Finder’s menu bar, select Go > Go to Folder. In the box, type the following location: /private/etc/hosts and press return.
  2. A new Finder window will open and your Mac’s hosts file will be selected. Click and drag it out of the Finder window and drop it on your desktop. 
  3. To open it, simply double-click and it will display the file’s contents in TextEdit .
  4. Check for any entries with Spotify in the address.
  5. If you do find any lines with Spotify, please remove them
  6. Save your changes and restart Spotify.

View solution in original post

6 Replies

Hi @zipippino and welcome to the Community! 🙂

Sorry to hear you are having some trouble with the app. If this is still an issue I suggest trying a clean reinstall of the app as it has a few additional steps than the standard install. I have copied the steps below for Mac, but the full article can be located here. I hope it helps you and have an awesome day! 😄

Mac

1. Quit Spotify.
  2. Open Finder then click Go (on the menu bar on the top of the screen). 
  3. Select Library from the drop-down menu that appears (you may need to hold the Alt key if Library isn’t visible).
  4. Open Caches and delete the com.spotify.Client and com.spotify.client.helper folders.
  5. Click the back arrow. 
  6. Open Application Support and delete the Spotify folder.
  7. Hit Command+Shift+G from your OS X desktop to bring out the Go to Folder window.
  8. Enter ~/Library/ to open Library folder.
  9. Enter “Spotify” in the search field, hit “Search: Library” and delete all files that appear:image (6).png

10. Head here while logged in your Spotify account in your browser and click Remove all devices.
  11. Shut down your computer.
  12. Wait a couple minutes and then hit the Power button again to boot your device.
  13. Download and install Spotify.

Hi, thanks for your reply. I followed your guide but it still doesn't work!

hello, I also write from Italy.
The same preblema is happening to me too, I tried to install spotify again but the problem remains

I can't play any songs and the playlists are empty.

This problem only happens if I use spotify on mac while on iphone it works perfectly.

Marked as solution

Hi @Nliicoon and @zipippino ! 🙂

Thanks for your patience while I looked more into the issue. I have another suggestion that I hope can help you both. Please try the following steps and let me know if you are still having trouble.  

1. Open Finder and, in Finder’s menu bar, select Go > Go to Folder. In the box, type the following location: /private/etc/hosts and press return.
  2. A new Finder window will open and your Mac’s hosts file will be selected. Click and drag it out of the Finder window and drop it on your desktop. 
  3. To open it, simply double-click and it will display the file’s contents in TextEdit .
  4. Check for any entries with Spotify in the address.
  5. If you do find any lines with Spotify, please remove them
  6. Save your changes and restart Spotify.

Thank you very much, I followed all the steps you wrote to us and now it would seem that the problem has disappeared.

Hi @Nliicoon !

That's great to hear! Glad it cleared up for you and have a wonderful day. 🙂

Suggested posts