Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[OSX][Mac] Spotify won't start

[OSX][Mac] Spotify won't start

Hello everyone. We are aware that, since the latest update, some OS X users are having trouble starting Spotify.

We're looking into a solution and will update you in this thread when more information is available.

Community Ergo Sum
49 Replies

Spotify app refuses to start on Mac 10.8.2 beginning today for me. I did notice it was taking a lot longer to start after the latest update. 

@user-removed wrote:

Spotify app refuses to start on Mac 10.8.2 beginning today for me. I did notice it was taking a lot longer to start after the latest update. 

Have you tried a quick clean reinstallation just incase something went wrong during the update?

Also, do you have flip4mac or growl installed? Some users are reporting they are preventing Spotify from running on OS X.

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

Message from Per:

Re: [Mac] Important info for Mac 10.5 users[ Edited ]

Folks, we've now resolved this issue.

Here's how to get the right Spotify version for you:

1. Make sure you remove your current Spotify app. Instructions can be found here.
  2. Download the "new" version from either our download page or by using this direct link
  3. Install Spotify-0.8.5.dmg
  4. Run Spotify
This version should no longer try to automatically update your Spotify app.

If you still experience any issues please make sure to have a look at our Mac-specific troubleshooting guide.

It's working now. Hope it will last.

I am also having this problem. I had upgraded the version at work (PC-based) and suddenly can't get in when I'm at home (Mac). It crashes everytime I try to open the program. Hope this will be fixed soon!

@jnn wrote:

I am also having this problem. I had upgraded the version at work (PC-based) and suddenly can't get in when I'm at home (Mac). It crashes everytime I try to open the program. Hope this will be fixed soon!

Hey! Welcome to the community 🙂 

What version of Mac OS X are you using? 

If it is 10.5.x then have a read at this post for instructions on how to get a working client. 

Peter

Peter

I am having the same problem. as soon as my spotify opens it closes and quits. i have re-installed it twice and still the same. i looked at the help forum but it directed me here. im really hoping to get this fixed since i love using spotify! i am trying to download a older version to see if that will help

Same here. I had previously installed the workaround for OSX 10.5.x as instructed (the one where you create those two files in Application Support) and it worked just fine for months until today. I tried a clean install and it didn't help at all.

If you are on Mac OS X 10.5.x it is a known issue from yesterday/today - There is an open bugs topic here

Peter

Peter

Alright. Thanks!

Re: [Mac] Important info for Mac 10.5 users[ Edited ]

Folks, we've now resolved this issue.

Here's how to get the right Spotify version for you:

1. Make sure you remove your current Spotify app. Instructions can be found here.
  2. Download the "new" version from either our download page or by using this direct link
  3. Install Spotify-0.8.5.dmg
  4. Run Spotify
NOW IT WORKS!!!!

Suggested posts