Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[OSX][Mac] Spotify won't start

[OSX][Mac] Spotify won't start

Hello everyone. We are aware that, since the latest update, some OS X users are having trouble starting Spotify.

We're looking into a solution and will update you in this thread when more information is available.

Community Ergo Sum
49 Replies

Using Spotify on OX10.5.4, it keeps trying to update itself, and then won't launch, being like this for two weeks

will cancel my a/c if this continues, disgraceful behaviour for a company to take this long leaving subscribers out in the cold

Not working for me either, Mac OS X 10.5.8

It won't even open, and when I deleted and downloaded another one it doesn't even finish the installation. Can someone please help me?

Hey guys 🙂 

Mac OS X 10.5.x is no longer being supported by Spotify, which is why you are having issues with the most recent client. 

Have a read at my post here which has details of how to get a working client again.

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

I have tried restarting, uninstalling, reinstalling, on Mac OSX 10.5.8 and spotlight crashes every time I try to open it. Please help me get spotlight back!

Peter, thank you for your support, but I won't install anything that was not supplied by Spotify themselves.

Sorry to know that Spotify don't care about Mac OS X 10.5.x users. Probably they don't need us.

Umpf. How the hell can I change my avatar? Can't find the "change avatar" tab anywhere. Ggggrrrrrr!!!!

@PinkPrincess wrote:

Peter, thank you for your support, but I won't install anything that was not supplied by Spotify themselves.

Sorry to know that Spotify don't care about Mac OS X 10.5.x users. Probably they don't need us.

Umpf. How the hell can I change my avatar? Can't find the "change avatar" tab anywhere. Ggggrrrrrr!!!!

On the community or in the client? 

The community requires you to achieve a certain rank before you can change your avatar. 

In Spotify, you need to connect to Facebook to change your avatar on your profile.

Peter

Peter

Same problem here. Tried reinstalling to no avail. Keeps giving the "error" message saying that the Spotify app has encountered a problem & needs to close.... leaving the options of "ignore", "relaunch," or "report to Apple."  I have reported the problem several times, attempted relaunches, and tried reinstalling multiple times as well. The app originally crashed about 4 days ago, I believe, when it was simply open but not in use at the time.  I was unsure of what prompted the crash, but it will not open at all since. Running it on Mac OS X 10.5.8... apparently I'm not the only user of this sort to be having this issue. Any suggestions or help would be much appreciated!!

Your support guy (Steven) was very helpful, but he says my Mac OS 10.5.8 can no longer work with Spotify. I'm bummed; I used Spotify A LOT as I learn to play violin and fiddle. He sent me a link to download an older version. It worked for a few days, but I had to download again each time I tried to use it. So he says my computer simply can no longer use Spotify. 

Please... is there a solution without upgrading my computer??? 

Do you think Steven was saying there will not be any solution?  😮

I have a workaround which is posted in this post but it does involve a bit of manual work to stop the old client from auto-updating to a broken one.

Peter

Peter

This Spotify app crashes every single time that I close it. This has been happening consistently since the last Spotify app update. Using the app is nearly impossible as well... it is very unresponsive. Load times for the "what's new" interface are 30-45 seconds. None of my Spotify apps work (ie: Lastfm, We Are Hunted, etc...). It's just plain awful.

My details...

Version 10.6.8

4GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM

7200 RPM Macintosh HD (checked and fine)

It is now THREE days since I requested an answer from Spotify support.   Response ? ZILCH NADA - its like I (we mac users) don't exist - I have now cancelled my sub 

Re Peter posts - please explain who you are and why we should download a legacy version from an unknown source - I note that you have made thousands of posts to this forum so presumably you are in the know - can you explain why we get no suport direct from Spotify Techies

thanks

JImmy

@jimijima wrote:

It is now THREE days since I requested an answer from Spotify support.   Response ? ZILCH NADA - its like I (we mac users) don't exist - I have now cancelled my sub 

Re Peter posts - please explain who you are and why we should download a legacy version from an unknown source - I note that you have made thousands of posts to this forum so presumably you are in the know - can you explain why we get no suport direct from Spotify Techies

thanks

JImmy

Hi Jimmy,

I am just another community member like youself, I don't work for Spotify or anything like that. I just put in some time everyday to offer support to other community members because I love music and want everyone else to be able to as well!

Here on the community, I am a super user meaning I am in communication with the Spotify community staff a lot of the time, and trust me when I say I have made my opinions on this OS X 10.5.x situation heard. Currently, there is no "official" work around from the Spotify team hence why I have posted instructions on how to do it unofficially however the team are aware of the issue and are just as annoyed about it as everyone effected. 

Other than posting and directing people to the work around, there is no much else I can do sadly. 

Peter

Peter

Many Thanks Peter

I'm just wondering why, if Spotify is as annoyed about it as everyone else, they don't say so in public and/or reply immediately to the tech support requests on what is (as I only now find out) such a well known issue.

kind regards

JImmy

PETER...

Tnx so much for the instrctions on how to manually rollback Spotify on the MAC to 8.5

I have successfully installed 8.5 and made the 2 files read only and locked... woola! Old Spotify is back and working like a champ!

Just wanted to say thank you Peter!

@ChadR wrote:

PETER...

Tnx so much for the instrctions on how to manually rollback Spotify on the MAC to 8.5

I have successfully installed 8.5 and made the 2 files read only and locked... woola! Old Spotify is back and working like a champ!

Just wanted to say thank you Peter!

No problem! Enjoy your music! 🙂 

Peter

Peter

Hello, I am experienceing exactly the same problem, How do I fix it....

PLEASE HELP! 

@wellsthomas1 wrote:

Hello, I am experienceing exactly the same problem, How do I fix it....

PLEASE HELP! 

Hey 🙂 

Are you using Mac OS X 10.5.x?

If so, have a read at this post for instructions. 

Peter

Peter

Hi everyone,

Many of you have had problems with Spotify for Mac OS X 10.5. We no longer support Spotify on this operating system which we announced back in November here as a "heads up".

However, we've noticed that many folks have been updating regardless which should not be the case. Our intention was to let anyone using Mac OS X10.5 continue using a "legacy" version of Spotify. In any case, the folks who were using 10.5 were updated, and in many cases these customers have experienced crashes with the newest version of the application (Spotify version 0.8.8. at the time of writing).

To make a long story short, we messed up in updating folks who should not have been updated and we're sorry. We plan on fixing the problem of Spotify updating to the latest version for Mac OSX 10.5 users and we're working on it as I write this. If you're a person who has already upgraded and the application is crashing, we're looking into a solution and we hope to have an update shortly.

Warm regards from your humble community manager,

Rorey 

It's been a week now.

Do you think Rorey was sincere when said we would have Spotify back? I mean, Rorey said that Spotify was supposed not to be supported by Mac 10.5 (and 10.6?) in November.
Did they really change their mind? Mmmmhhhh.....

Suggested posts