Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Playing from Spotify desktop to SONOS Connect - gapless playback possible?

Playing from Spotify desktop to SONOS Connect - gapless playback possible?

Hi all,

Is gapless playback possible from Spotify desktop app to SONOS Connect?

I'm not talking about Spotify via the Sonos app - just talking about using the official desktop Spotify app

Many thanks

10 Replies

Hi @user-removed, thanks for writing!

Currently no, gapless playback is not available from Spotify desktop app to SONOS Connect.

But since Spotify is always testing new features, let's hope they implement it soon 🙂

BittencourtSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Hi, can I ask how you know and if you are 100%?

Reason I ask is because I've seen posts on Sonos forum saying playback is gapless, so I was confused.

Do you have a Sonos Connect device?

Hi @user-removed,

Yes I use the Sonos Connect with two speakers, and I have my crossfade playback set to 12 seconds. I've just tested the transition between two songs on my computer as well as on both speakers. None of them were able to reproduce the crossfade.

I guess it might be something on the Sonos end. Maybe you could get more precise information on their forum?

BittencourtSpotify Star

It was working aprox 2 years ago when I used Sonos Connect. But I moved using the Spotify Connect integrated in my reciever (Onkyo) and then lost the crossfade / gapless playback feature.

Until today I thought it was a limitation in my reciever but apparently the feature isn't supported in the current Spotify Connect implementation. It seems they have same issue using Chromecast Audio with Spotify.

Vote for getting support implemented here:

[Connect] Crossfade on Spotify Connect

Hey @Videonisse,

Thanks for that! I've just voted. Let's hope this feature comes back soon.

BittencourtSpotify Star

@Bittencourt wrote:

Hi @user-removed,

Yes I use the Sonos Connect with two speakers, and I have my crossfade playback set to 12 seconds. I've just tested the transition between two songs on my computer as well as on both speakers. None of them were able to reproduce the crossfade.

I guess it might be something on the Sonos end. Maybe you could get more precise information on their forum?

Hi again, I asked the same question on the Sonos forum and someone tested and confirmed it works gaplessly...

So now I'm very confused

This forum won't let me share a link here but on the Sonos forum it is a thread with exact same title and you can see the replies and discussion.

Hey @user-removed,

I've just confirmed with the Spotify staff - gapless playback is currently not working when streaming via Connect or via Sonos. However, there is certain playlists that are mixed so they are always playing in gapless playback mode. Perhaps that's what the user on the Sonos forum has observed.

BittencourtSpotify Star

Hey @user-removed ,

I hope it's clear for you now. Let me know if you have any other questions 🙂

BittencourtSpotify Star

@Bittencourt wrote:

Hey @user-removed ,

I hope it's clear for you now. Let me know if you have any other questions 🙂

Hi @bittencourt

Appreciate you checking with Spotify staff.

I have to admit I am confused though because a couple people on the Sonos forum personally tested the same album I asked as a test (Cold Live in Beunos Aries) and they said it played gaplessly (no gaps, no silence in track transitions).

Sonos staff haven't corrected anything of there either.

As you can imagine, hearing two different answers can make things confusing.

It seems the only way for me to know for sure is to test it myself but I'm a little hesistant to purchase a Sono Connect to find it doesn't work the way the Sonos owners have said on the Sonos forum. Plus it doesn't support Airplay 2.

Plus the next dollars I spend on a streamer, I want Airplay 2, Spotify Connect and Chromecast Built-in to all be supported.

So I may just wait.

I know for sure the Bluesound Node 2i's Spotify Connect supports gapless playback... and already supports Airplay 2. If their next update/hardware adds Chromecast Built-in, that will be what I'll get. So I may just wait for that...

Hey @user-removed ,

You're welcome. 

Keep in mind that you can always get directly in touch with the Spotify staff if you think it will make things clearer.

Besides the link above, you can also use the Facebook support. Shoot them a message here: Spotify Cares.

Hope this is more helpful!

BittencourtSpotify Star

Suggested posts