Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Preferences: Show desktop notifications when a song changes

Solved!

Preferences: Show desktop notifications when a song changes

In the Mac App Preferences>Display there is an option "Show desktop notifications when a song changes"

Anyone know what this does? I hoped it would provide MacOS-style notifications, but I can't see it doing anything.

Thanks!

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

For anyone who would like this basic functionality to be returned, please visit https://community.spotify.com/t5/Live-Ideas/Desktop-Support-Notifications-on-Mac/idi-p/5263475 and upvote.

Thank you!

View solution in original post

15 Replies

Hey there @patrickgilmour

Thanks for getting in touch about this. 

Would you mind sending a screenshot of the app settings where we can see this option (including the section where it is exactly)? Make sure not to include any private info. 

We'll be on the lookout.

EniModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

@Eni - thanks for getting back to me.

Attached is a screenshot. Mac Version of Spotify: 1.1.56.595.g2d2da0de-a

Regards,

Patrick

spotify-desktop-notifications.jpg

Hey @patrickgilmour

Thanks for making the screenshot and getting back to us. 

When you have this option activated it's expected that you'll see a desktop notification whenever the next song starts. The notification looks like this:

kateone.png

If you don't see the tray after enabling the setting, make sure you perform a clean reinstall of Spotify on the affected device. This will remove corrupted app data that could be causing the issue. 

Another thing you can try on your Mac is going to Settings > Notifications > scrolling down in the left side sidebar to see Spotify > Allow Notifications and making sure to activate this setting. You also need to ensure that any other relevant settings are switched on too:

katetwo.png

Let us know how it goes after you've enabled all these settings and we'll be able to investigate further. 

Hope this helps. Keep us posted. 

Thanks Ivan. I noticed some time back that Spotify wasn't appearing in the Notifications System Preference and wondered if they were related. Will try a clean install and post back.

I've done a couple of complete uninstalls and reinstalls, rebooted Mac etc. but Spotify still doesn't appear in Notifications Preferences (see attached).

Mac Big Sur 11.2.3 (20D91)

Thanks,

Pat

spotify.png

Hey there @patrickgilmour,

Thank you for your reply.

There's currently an ongoing issue about this - [Desktop new look] Notifications not showing up on desktop app. We recommend that you head over there and leave the information that's being asked for in that thread. You can also leave a +VOTE and Subscribe to the thread for any updates regarding this.

Let us know if we can help you with anything else 🙂

Take care!

JeremyModerator
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

Thanks!

Hi Patrick,

As of April 22, 2021. The notifications setting for Spotify (latest update) on macOS Big Sur (latest update) does not work. Spotify is not an option in "Notification Center". This is an ongoing issue that does not seem to be a priority for Spotify.

It's been some time, and it still does not work for me. No spotify in the notification centre. How long till spotify fixes a simple bug?

Hi folks, 

Thank you for posting on this thread. 

@jack_ryan and @BarryBKK It's odd that you're not able to see Spotify on your notification centre, so let's try some troubleshooting steps first.

To start, please run a clean reinstall of Spotify, this will help us start with a fresh app.

Then, follow these steps to add Spotify to the notification centre:

1. Open the Notification Center on your Mac.
  2. Click on Edit (down the bottom)
  3. Drag "Now Playing" to the notification center
  4. Click Done
  5. You should now see the Spotify player with forward, back, seek and the cover art in the Notification Center

Hope this helps!

MafeGModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Also having same issue. Clean installed 3 times, Spotify not showing in notification center or in Settings>Notifications. On latest version of Big Sur

Hi @trevorcarlson1,

Thank you for sharing your post. 

To every folk reviewing this thread, now we can confirm that this feature is no longer available as it has been removed from the desktop app. 

If you'd like to see this feature again, you can take a look at our Idea Exchange to see if someone else has already made a similar suggestion. If there isn't one, you can give these steps a go and submit your idea so that other users can also support it.

Don't hesitate to reach out again if you have questions.

MafeGModerator

@Mafeg I am running the latest version of Spotify for macOS (Intel), 1.1.68.632.g2b11de83. I still see the setting as in @patrickgilmour ’s screenshot. If the feature to show notifications has been removed, why has the preference not also been removed?

Hi there @c-harding,

Thanks for the post.

This feature was part of a test that Spotify ran some time ago. We can't say exactly why the developers have lest the option in the settings menu, as we don't have official info on this.

Hope this helps.

AlexModerator
Marked as solution

For anyone who would like this basic functionality to be returned, please visit https://community.spotify.com/t5/Live-Ideas/Desktop-Support-Notifications-on-Mac/idi-p/5263475 and upvote.

Thank you!

Suggested posts