Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Queue is not refreshing properly (again) in build 1.0.4.90.g0b6df40b!!!

Queue is not refreshing properly (again) in build 1.0.4.90.g0b6df40b!!!

Upon reordering, the queue's view does not reflect the new order of the queue. The user must navigate away from the queue and back to trigger a refresh.

This was broken in build 1.01.1060.gc75ebdfd, then fixed, and now it's broken again.

Please regression test new builds, or provide an option to try new builds before we install them, or maybe write this into your test plan. This is monumentally annoying!

10 Replies

I'm having the same problem on my PC version of the desktop player. I'm not sure when this began for me, I believe within the past week or so.

Current Spotify version: 1.0.3.101.gbfa97dfe

Music

Hello there,

What you mean by queue is not refreshing properly ?

When you add, one or several songs to the queue (by a right click), they go at the end of the section "Queued Tracks"  in the Play queue. Once songs are in this section, you can change the order.

The section "Next Tracks" will keep the tracks coming from your last 'full play' of a playlist or of an album.

The tracks in the section "queued tracks" will play in priority. If the queue ends the next track to play will be the 1st one in section "Next tracks"

SoundofusSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

It means that the queue is not giving a visual indication of the changes that are made to the queue.

The best example of this is the one given in the original poster's message: If I move a song from the bottom of the queue, there is not visible change to the queue. Instead, the queue must be "manually refreshed" by viewing the "history tab" in the queue and then returning to the "main queue tab".

Music

Please read more carefully before responding with a "solution" 😃
Music

I haven't given you a solution I just explined how work the queue.

For what I know, using Spotify since 2009, I never seen a visual mark when reordering the queue.

SoundofusSpotify Star

I see now. Sorry for the misunderstanding on my part. Seeing as this is the help section of the Spotify Community, I assumed you were offering a generic solution and not understanding the specific problem.

Let me try to explain one more time:

The "visual mark" being referred to is merely the position of the songs visually changing the list, not an actual marker/indicator showing that a change has been made, but instead the list actually changing in real-time. In order for you to see that you're changing the list, the list has to refresh automatically, in real-time.

For example if I have five songs in my queue, but I want to move song 5 to play second, I simply click and drag the song. When I do this, the queue automatically refreshes to show that my song has actually changed position.

pcope and I are both indicating that the queue is not refreshing, so you can't see any changes made to the queue order until you leave the queue tab and return to it (because that process refreshes queue).

Does that make sense?

Music

Interestingly, I cannot reproduce the issue this morning. I'm starting to think this may be an issue with the amount of traffic to Spotify's servers.

I'm surmising that Spotify moved the "queue" from an entity that lives on your local machine to an entitiy that lives on a server after release 0.9.15.27 (Dec '14). All subsequent releases seem to have (potentially intermittent) issues with the responsiveness of the queue including:

- Improper refreshing on queue reorder

- Lack of ability to scroll while grabbing several items by selecting, clicking and holding, and scrolling simultaneously

- Long delays navigating from the "queue" tab to the "history" tab

The first and third issues could well be the result of long delays in making a network call when Spotify's servers are experiencing heavy loads (for example, when lots of people try to download a new version like yesterday). The second issue seems like it could be due to lack of support for grabbing and scrolling in the web view (embedded browser) they're using to display their new server-based queue.

It seems like a better solution would be to maintain a local copy of a user's queue that can be modified at will. When modifications occur a flag would be set to sync the local information with the server's information. Conversly, the server could update all client queues via push notifications (since I'm guessing the motivation for this change is the ability to sync queues accross multiple devices. This design would allow the desktop client to regain the responsiveness and user experience it has clearly lost, but still allow the syncing of queues across multiple devices.

I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't do this because they want to maintain a common code base across their installed clients and their web client. While this is a worthy goal, it's a shame that in this case they have so dramatically sacrificed user experience to achieve it. 

It's exactly what I have understood at first, and it's weird, because I have also the 1.0.4.90 version and when I drag a song in another position in the queued tracks, it's instantly visible.

Edit @pcope

And when I drag a block of songs it's also the same : instant response

Then maybe, yes, it could be a temporary server issue.

SoundofusSpotify Star

I'm on 1.0.4.90.g0b6df40b using Mac OS X 10.10.3 (14D136) and I can confirm this bug. 

It's monumentally annoying. 

I am experiencing the same problem. 

It is simple to reproduce: just remove the next song from the play queue and it looks nice nothing happens, the song remains there in the list, even if I switch to another page such as History and come back to the Play Queue, that removed song remains there.

The Play Queue display is refreshed when going to the next song, so the songs play in the order selected.

Spotify version 1.0.7.157.g2a6526f9

Windows 7

15mbit bandwidth

Suggested posts