Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Removal of desktop notifications, back from the dead

Removal of desktop notifications, back from the dead

They locked the old thread here https://community.spotify.com/t5/Desktop-Mac/Removal-of-desktop-notifications/td-p/1343904 

But it looks like what we feared is now becoming a confirmed reality about Spotify allowing record companies to push notifications about new releases to us (after disabling notifications about releases from artists' we follow):

https://www.techspot.com/news/82488-spotify-soon-alert-you-new-music-paid-pop.html

5 Replies

Hey @makanimike, welcome to the Community.

That's not the case for the Desktop versions.

Learn more here.

You can disable those notifications if you're a Premium subscriber.

If you don't like the occasional announcements made in the Desktop versions that appear in Home you can go to Settings > Display Options > Show announcements about new releases then turn it off.

Thanks 🙂

Sure, but that's not the point. The point is the disenfranchisement of the paying customer. Instead of us choosing what we want to be updated on, us being told what to be updated on.

Or rather: us not being the customer, but the record industry being the customer.  

Hey @makanimike,

As cited in the press release:

'In this test, we will let artist teams pay to sponsor these recommendations, giving them the power to tell their listeners on Spotify—across both our Free and Premium tiers—about their latest release. You’ll now hear from a wider range of artists, which means you’re less likely to miss out on new releases from your favorites.

One thing that won’t change is that these recommendations will continue to be powered by your music taste, so you will only hear from artists that you frequently listen to or follow. We hope you enjoy these recommendations  — but if you’re not into them, Premium subscribers can turn them off. 

We hope you enjoy these recommendations  — but if you’re not into them, Premium subscribers can turn them off.'

Thanks 🙂

I've been a Premium User since 2007 or 2008. Almost as long as Spotify exists.  

This isn't about me receiving or not receiving curated and paid for notifications. Features like this leave a sour taste in my mouth. I feel like Spotify is the mob and I am paying for protection so they leave me alone.  

I'm gonna look into tools to extract a text file of my playlist and albums etc. Maybe I need to start preparing an exit.

Hi @makanimike,

Thanks for getting in touch!

Sponsored recommendations help you find new music from artists you love. You’ll see them for artists you follow or listen to a lot. Note: The pop-up they mention in the news-article is different from the currently existing notifications.

If you are a Premium user and you would rather not see them, click Learn more the next time you receive a notification. From there, you can stop them showing for the artist you received the notification from, or stop them showing altogether. It’s not currently possible to disable them on our free, ad-supported service.

You are welcome to visit the Ideas Exchange where you can create an idea and have other users vote for it.

Hope this clarifies some things. Let us know if you have further questions.

Have a nice weekend.

Suggested posts