Removal of desktop notifications

Removal of desktop notifications

Rorey
Spotify
Spotify

On May 15th, we will be turning off the in-app notifications "bell" on desktop. We are continuously working to improve and simplify our notifications features, and this change will allow us to shift our focus to email and push notifications. We are also working on completely new ways of keeping you up-to-date with new album releases, helping you discover new music, and know what your friends are up to.

To make sure you have your email and push notifications set up the way you'd like, check out the steps here.

Please share any feedback you have here in the Community. We're listening, and will pass it all on to the team.

1,243 Replies

starrynit
Regular

My guess is that it's been discontinued because of the issues many of us have had in recent months.  Instead of fixing it, they've removed it.  

There is no hope that what's still being offered will be a decent replacement.  As can be seen in many other messages, a lot of us have not been receving e-mail messages with notifications (months and months for me, and I have checked settings everywhere multiple times); and we know that push notifications have had multiple issues as well (sometimes I receive them, sometimes not, sometimes they've been incomplete, etc.)

I, too, am feeling bad that I've paid money to a service that clearly doesn't give a hoot about users.  Taking away frequently used features is insulting.  That's on top of the insult of the runaround I've gotten when trying to pursue fixes for the issues, from canned responses to incomplete ones to outright obfuscation.

All of this so baffling and frustrating, and it certainly doesn't make me feel any kind of loyalty to the service. I used to sing praises, now I'm warning people away.  😞

soosfarm
Casual Listener

What? How did you figure this was a good idea? It is _the_ most used feature for me. Bring it back.

gareth8
Roadie

Ultimately what I think will happen is notifications will be removed completely (they already have for me, in effect; i've never received any email ones). Of course then people will ask what's the point of following artists so they'll solve that particular conundrum by removing the follow button, too.

Wouldn't be surprised if record industry involvement is ultimately behind this. They spunk away hundreds of millions on Spotify; they want you listening to Rihanna and Drake and the like; they *don't* want you listening to the band from the college down the street. Heck, even playlists might bite the dust in the future.

Or maybe I'm just paranoid.

Here's an actual idea for an improvement, Spotify, seeing as you're continuously looking to improve your notification features. All new material from artists you follow is automatically added into a personal playlist, along the lines of Discover Weekly, or what the Companion for Spotify app does.

Have that one on me.

Follow me

TheVoice
Regular

Sorry Spotify, but if I can't see what new music is being added by my many favourite/followed artists then your service isn't much use to me. Email notifications have never, ever worked for me and push notifications aren't much use on a desktop player. How am I supposed to keep track of what's been added?

If you're working on a completely new way of keeping us informed about new music we actually care about (rather than the popular crap you plaster all over the main screen) you should have that in place and ready now rather than leaving us with less functionality.

I'm utterly disappointed and am on my way to cancel my premium subscription until your "new ways" are ready. It's a good thing for us that there's no shortage of music streaming services offering new user deals these days.

johnnyhour
Casual Listener

As a user for many years I am amazed that the desktop notifications feature is being removed.

I would love to know the factors which led to this decision, was it based on user feedback? usage statistics?

This lack of this feature is making me re-consider my streaming service.  There are now many ways to transfer my playlists and followed artists to another platform and although it may not be simple, I am prepared to go through some pain in order to get a service which actually makes use of the data I provide.

Finally switching to e-mail notifications sounds like a shift to the dark ages, why on earth would I want to keep hopping between a mail application and a music application? 

I am hugely dissapointed as it appears I backed the wrong horse.

jvanwestendorp
Gig Goer

Rightly said! What a f-ing poor decision. 

I should state that the notification bell has been working poorly over the last months. Mail notifications are dumb and also have been far from complete. I actually follow quite a few artist and many new releases have not been notified. I've also multiple times scratched my head over the fact that I do get mail notifications but I didn't get a notification via the bell on the same release. E.g., I was out for 2 weeks, I had over 100 mail notifications but just 20 notifications via the bell. Still many new releases of artists I follow are not notified.

I've made comments in the past about notifications but seriously, it has really gone backwards since a year. It used to work pretty flawless and used to be really user friendly. I f-ing don't care about mail notifications. I already get enough sh*t in my inbox. Please, please Spotify wake up and smell the coffee!

Currently I've a family account and I pay for 3 users, I would like to consider to drop this but if you continue pouring out sh*t, I will!

My 2 cents.

user-removed
Not applicable

Just so I know we're all on the same page...
In addition to the Bell being gone (mine came back for a day and dissapeared again), the Activity Feed (which I belive to be linked to the bell) is also gone.

There was a thread about two years ago to bring the Activity Feed back, and it came back, but mine is gone nad has been for the same time as my bell (or clse enough to the same amount of time).

Is everyone missing the Activty Feed in addition to the Bell? I really want both of these back.
I've been stumbling around trying to find out which playlists are updated, and who has added new songs, and it's just so annoying now.

Are the Activty Feed and Bell two different issues, or the same?2016-05-18_8-53-45.png

javiflames
Music Fan

I have also lost activity feed

Captura de pantalla 2016-05-19 13.23.10.png

starrynit
Regular

I don't think notifications and Activity are related - Activity has been specific messages sent by people I follow vs. notifications being additions to followed artists (and, in the past, playlists) .

Activity stopped working within the past couple of weeks for me, and Spotify hasn't addressed it aside from asking me what kinds of messages I would receive there (?!), then completely ignoring my mentions about it when giving me the runaround about notifications.

wolflambert
Roadie

I can still see the activity feed (I never really used it, though). The bell, however, is gone.

Follow me on Spotify

wolflambert
Roadie

This is plainly idiotic. There is no centralised way to check new releases anymore, and that makes no sense at all. I don't know why I'm still sticking with Spotify when it seems like functions I use regularly are removed every week or so for no clear reason besides the standard "improving" gibberish (whatever that means). 

Follow me on Spotify

mapdock

Here's a vote for putting this feature back in some form. Following artists and being notified when they add new music has been of huge value. I'm not overloaded with notifications, and they weren't at all obtrusive. Maybe people weren't using the Follow feature enough or complained about the bell, but for me it's been one of Spotify's killer features. Thanks for letting us know, but maybe make this optional so people who still want the follow/notification option can have it!

rjinks

Adding to the pile of messages Spotify support hasn't responded to.

I need the notification bell to want to continue using the service. I used to use Google Music, it was a good service. Perfectly happy to go back.

Cheers

pete123456

This is a really poorly thought out change, I work in software delivery and could not imagine removing a feature without first understanding how the feature is being used and giving the user a viable alternative (of which there is no way in the current desktop app).

And I really don't see how filling my inbox with notifications is considered a better user experience than the notifications icon inside the app - which everyone expects these days given how twitter/facebook work (note how facebook started with email notifications and moved to in-app - this is a step backwards!).

spotify.jpg

This feature is fundamental to how I and I'm sure many others use Spotify to keep up to date with their music and as a result I'm now considering jumping ship after being a member for a number of years.

All in all this is really disappointing and I hope you reconsider the decision.

jazzman20
Regular

Just want to be sure I understand.  You're making the service harder to use?  Deliberately?  On purpose.  The indiividual who came up with this idotic idea needs to be fired yesterday.

FunkishAudio
Roadie
But why fix what wasn't broken?
That was a fine feature. Right there in front of me, I got my new release notifications, and could refer back to them easily.
I looked forward to opening Spotify & seeing what was new!
I hate push notifications. I don't want stuff popping up while I'm working.
When you say email, are you referring to the messages box that is now where the notifications bell used to be? Will new release notifications go there from now on?

redddirtgal1
Seriously, this is beyond a joke. You ask for feedback stating it is 'important' to you and you blatantly ignore it! WE ALL WANT THE NOTIFICATIONS BELL BACK! Not difficult to grasp is it? There is no other way of receiving this information that we (those paying customers who actually use the facility everyday) would rather see. Like the others my bell was reinstated for one glorious day and has, once more, been deleted. It's quite evident from the posts, tweets, and comments across all of your various social media sites that this has been an incredibly unpopular decision and one you should reverse permanently if you truly value your customers and their user experience!
Regards from a customer service manager who wouldn't be doing her job correctly if she had let this many complaints go by unanswered and unresolved!

gronbuske
Regular
I'm actually a bit mad about this... I've been waiting for a small infity for the bell, thinking, one day it will return. Then suddenly, one day I see a bunch of notifications and the little bell. I am overly delighted and praise all gods in the pantheon of the north and start exploring all new releases. The next day I sit down at my computer, looking forward to continue exploring just to notice that my beloved bell is gone again... darn you spotify!

hans-jürgen
Roadie

I always liked that option, because I usually delete email notifications after reading them. And I don't think I will collect them now in a special folder to search through it and click on them individually, so basically the very useful information about new releases of my followed artists is lost, as is the reason for following an artist on Spotify at all.

gareth8
Roadie

@Rorey wrote:

On May 15th, we will be turning off the in-app notifications "bell" on desktop. We are continuously working to improve and simplify our notifications features, and this change will allow us to shift our focus to email and push notifications. We are also working on completely new ways of keeping you up-to-date with new album releases, helping you discover new music, and know what your friends are up to.

To make sure you have your email and push notifications set up the way you'd like, check out the steps here.

Please share any feedback you have here in the Community. We're listening, and will pass it all on to the team.

Right, so you're say you're turning them off then suddenly everybody starts getting them again. Did someone hit the 'on' button, by mistake? Or is it a case of the left hand not knowing what the right one's doing? Or - and I hope that this is the case - did Spotify listen to our feedback and sensibly reversed their decision? I'd be interested in the answer.

Follow me

ke_schi
Regular

Had it for a one day - now it's gone again. Why the hell remove such a simple and useful feature? I don't want email notifications and I don't always want to use my phone for push. Really frustrating and incomprehensible!

SUGGESTED POSTS