Announcements

Removal of desktop notifications

Re: Removal of desktop notifications

Music Fan

I am ALL for product advancements along how artist notifications are being handled but don't you think this is a little abrupt? I understand you guys are seeing a huge surge in mobile consumption, but that doesn't mean you need to remove your desktop notification 'stopgap'. In-app desktop has worked splendidly since you've launched and I see no reason to completely remove it until you've pushed out v2 (if that's even happening).

Forcing users, especially people who log 7+ hours a day (me), to rely on !?EMAIL?! and MOBILE NOTIFICATIONS seems ridiculous. I'm subscribed to over 900 artists and receive over 10 notifications a day. Mobile notifications are drowned out by other apps (we receive them at midnight) and aren't supported inside your native app. Also, forcing your userbase to utilize email to follow new releases feels like a UX disaster. Why are you forcing me to hop between email to Spotify 10+ times just to hear today's releases?

I think you can understand where I'm coming from. I've been a paying user for over 4 years and am deeply in love with your music selection and new releases. I feel like this severly cripples how I use your product. Please, I would love to hear what you guys have in mind regarding notifications v2.

Thanks,

Tim

Highlighted

Regular

What a load of crap! Who's opinion are you basing your decisions on?

Not the users, that's for sure!

Being a long time Spotify user and a music lover, I think this is one of the most important features!

Highlighted

Casual Listener

Absolutly stupid and unclear decicion to remove the notification bell in the dektop application.

For my use case it´s a downgrade because the desktop application was the only place where i could use these notifications very easy to check for new releases and add new songs to playlists.

I´dont need push notificatios on my mobile device. I order my music in the desktop application and listen at home via Sonos. Also i don´t need to know what my friends are up to or want mails about new songs in my mailbox. All this changes has nothing to do do with the comfortable function of the notification bell in the old desktop app.

For me it´s a absolutly incomprehensible solution to delete such important features !

The only workaround i have for the current situation is to rollback to Spotify 0.9.15.27 and avoid auto-updates. Also i will evaluate other music streaming providers for better solutions of music news in desktop or web applications for PC.

Highlighted

Gig Goer
@Largon, how can you go back to older versions?
Highlighted

Casual Listener

I don't understand this decision at all. I have been a paying user for over 4 years and the notification icon is one of the key features I use daily. 

As of now I don't see any reason to use the "follow" feature since I refuse to let Spotify blow up my email inbox with tens of notification emails daily.

Highlighted

This was a very dumb decision in my opinion, the bell notification icon was very helpful...

Highlighted

Casual Listener
What the hell! Why would I want to know about new songs from the artists I follow on my email? This while there is an entire page on the app dedicated to push me music I don't really care about?
Can you for once try to go back to making an app that serves the musical taste of those who use it?
Highlighted

Regular

How do Spotify's competitors handle this function?  Do they have a notification system similar to the one that we're missing?

Highlighted

Regular

Hello,

My feedback is simple, this is a VERY BIG mistake.  The notification bell was the easiest way to keep the users informed about their favourité releases!  How do we do now?  For a lot of people, it was the only place they could see the new music from bands or playlists they follow.  The bell is gone now and also the fact that Spotify was also the best way to connect music people.  IT IS NOT AN IMPROVEMENT!

We share a lot of messages about that but the Spotify team doesn't care about that.

Do you know that we all pay for the service we deserve???

As clients we don't have to wait!

All the best from a very deceived customer!

Highlighted

Casual Listener

Bring back the notification icon! Email notifications are annoying because they will only open in the web player, and the mobile notifcations are useless.

SUGGESTED POSTS