Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Removal of desktop notifications

Removal of desktop notifications

On May 15th, we will be turning off the in-app notifications "bell" on desktop. We are continuously working to improve and simplify our notifications features, and this change will allow us to shift our focus to email and push notifications. We are also working on completely new ways of keeping you up-to-date with new album releases, helping you discover new music, and know what your friends are up to.

To make sure you have your email and push notifications set up the way you'd like, check out the steps here.

Please share any feedback you have here in the Community. We're listening, and will pass it all on to the team.

1,243 Replies

thanks god . its still available in Web player

bad decision . without any sense of what customers want and how they use your software

I replied on this earlier, but the more I think about it, the less I understand about this decision. I mean seriously.. why would you remove a feature in the desktop software while it's still functioning in the webplayer? There is plenty of space to add buttons, but of course instead of that we remove them.

It's like removing my pinky and instead of my pinky I will use my elbow.... I know... it doesn't make any sense...

I bet even they don't know why they removed it.

I asked here, I sent an email and no one could justify why they removed it.

They must be firing devs and so removing features makes the maintenance of the codes easier.

That's the only thing that can justify it, and it's **bleep**ty because people will leave the service because of it, reducing their income and making the "saving" pointless.

I guess you are right. Otherwise why is still on the Web Player?

Please reverse this decision. 

It will be a matter of time untill the reverse it or I'll will not paying anymore for this service.

The funny thing is, I changed my password yesterday via the website. When I opened the Spotify desktop app, the Notifications icon appeared but required me to log in with my new password. As soon as I did, the icon disappeared.

So it's still there in reality, they're just disabling it when you log on.

SeriousIy e-mail or push notifications? What's your strategy Spotify? Going old school? #DesktopNotificationsAreReallyUseful 

This is trending as one of the topmost viewed and debated topics in the community forums. Why is there no response from Spotify? Do you have that much scorn for your users? No one cares any more?

Reminds me of when they took away the App Finder in late 2014/early 2015.  I tried using the App Finder feature when I installed a very old version of Spotify and it simply did not work at all.  Oh yes, let's not forget about Spotify taking away the Discover tab sometime during the late summer of last year.

Hey Spotify, here's a new idea: Why not removing the music too? 

Seriously, this is the most annoying decision. I don't want emails, emails are for work. The bell was ok, keep it there, nobody complained about the bell, keep it there. 

@sidechannel Please don't mark the webplayer as a solution. Now this whole thread is marked as solved. This isn't solved until the notifications are back in the desktop app :).

This made me so sad.

I went to the trouble of following 300 artist, just so i would get the updates for new releases in my notifications.  Notifications werent ideal, but it was atleast something.  I would love a "New Releases" page that features only my followed artist/artists you have in your own playlists. 

It reminds me of youtube deleting the "Catagory" function and giving nothing in return. It still annoys the **bleep** out of me everytime I look at my subscription feed.... So many times I've missed content from channels that only publish a vid like once a month... :X

How is this consumer friendly? People that dont use it arent bothered by it, but you will only bother people that did use it when you remove it.

The online player is not a solution.

RABELAIS: You want to keep both "music" and "notifications"?

PANURGE: Of course-- How can we find new music without getting back the "notifications"?

RABELAIS: You know the rule-- Only one "New idea" at a time.

So one of Spotify's USP's is the fact that it's easy for people to discover new music. 
By disabling the notification bell, you basically ruined that for me. 

Thanks.

Common.. Seriously..? I am using desktop client. When I get notifications about new releases via email I have to play them via WEB CLIENT and I DONT LIKE THAT! I love desktop app. I LOVE BELL ICON! I am really dissapointed in this decision.. I am even a little bit mad..

realy bad decision i need this button !!!

"improve and simplify" - what a cynical way to say - "f*** that, we're too lazy to program it for the desktop application anymore". 

Desktop has not been a focus since you switched to 1.x 

Still so much to do - and especially features that you REMOVED. It took ages until we got local file search back. 

I want to click the song I got notified directly in the desktop app - that's where I listen most of the times. What's the point in the notification on my Android. I must re-search this item in the desktop app. 

I just had a chat with SpotifyCares who told me that information about the "notifcation belle disapearing" could be found here. 

I am definitely not pleased with the information you provide, you're killing my "sound digging" activity on spotify, and it's bad... really bad.

Please listen to you community and fix this! 

#iwantmybellback 

Suggested posts