Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Removal of desktop notifications

Removal of desktop notifications

On May 15th, we will be turning off the in-app notifications "bell" on desktop. We are continuously working to improve and simplify our notifications features, and this change will allow us to shift our focus to email and push notifications. We are also working on completely new ways of keeping you up-to-date with new album releases, helping you discover new music, and know what your friends are up to.

To make sure you have your email and push notifications set up the way you'd like, check out the steps here.

Please share any feedback you have here in the Community. We're listening, and will pass it all on to the team.

1,243 Replies

bring. it. back.

This has really affected the way that I use the Spotify app - for the worse. I now get emails whilst I'm working (not when I'm using Spotify which is when i want them) which feel incredibly spammy, and they just get deleted straight away.

A real backwards step to a great feature for finding new content.

And you're saying that email is a completely new way of communicating? No. it's not. It's possibly the worst way I can think you could communicate new releases. Other than maybe pigeon.

Please bring back this function.

Thanks

Lee

**bleep**?  Really, Spotify?  Is it so damned hard to keep notifications of new releases in the app?  This was my favorite feature, and now its gone.  Gonna be looking into other options.    Also, they must also be well aware that many of their categorizations are totally wrong, combining 2 (or 3) different artists under the same listing, despite many people telling them it's wrong.   Either Spotify is very poor (I doubt it!!) or just don't give much of a **bleep**.

Honestly, when ''Rorey'' posts something i already know whatever he posts is bad for the users..

Like a messenger of chaos, lol

''Hey guys, just a heads up that we are scre-wing your user experience to make the client ''cleaner'' and ''improved''..

''We are continuosly working to find new ways to fu-ck the users, hehe''

So sad what Spotify has become...

Just got linked to this thread by @SpotifyCares because of a similar issue: messages no longer notify you either.  https://community.spotify.com/t5/Desktop-Mac/no-notification-for-received-messages/td-p/1179269

BUT HOLY CARP at this thread.  I don't understand.  What's the point of following an artist if I'm never notified when they do anything?

103 pages of complains and Spotify doesn't care.

Nice.

I prefer the bell to push notifications and emails.  It seems like when I'm in spotify is the time that I'd really want to see that.  I've missed this feature and feel i get too many emails!!!

@Spotifycares has a twitter and a facebook-page ... time to be heard!

#bringbackthatbell

#spotifail

Bring back the bell!  I want to be saved by the bell!

Rorey ? where are you ? since today we can change the pictures of our playlists, but still no bell !

It's already tough times with Trump winning, at least bring the bell back. That's just too cruel.

Hahaha

Swear to god Spotify have a department that exists purely to troll users. Its like never implementing an EQ function, or all those lost years when they decided to make the central Play button actually do random order play instead.

This bell thing is moronic. I really hope there is some tawdry but rational basis for it, like Spotify figured it would save them 12cents to use email instead of in-app. If it is a "design" decision, then dammmmmn, sack your team, and hire someone that knows what "UX" means.

This brilliant new system means I get a push notification on my phone, which is useless because I rarely listen on my phone. I either leave the notification sitting there, filling up the space and annoying me, or I remove it and try and remember next time I start Spotify on my desktop what the new album was. Or, I just forget. 90% of my Spotify use is on desktop, let me be notified on desktop. FFS.

Oh, and I have email notifications turned on, but never get them. And no, they're not in my spam folder.

Actually I was just thinking that since the bell disappeared that my Spotify usage has decreased. It's cumbersome to check playlist, that I follow, all manually. Next to the point, that I will not check over 600 artists to see if they have a new release.

And yes, I will not use my phone to check notifications, it's shait. And the release radar etc are more shait. The only thing I want is to have a single place with notifications on new releases of artists and updates of playlist that I follow -> in the Windows application! There must be a way to do this if Spotify can do it on the mobile app and even worse, send e-mails.

@Rorey, maybe you can finally provide some sense and guidance? This thread is over 100 pages long with active users complaining. By all means, someone must have noticed there is some theme to look into?

1. Push notifications can't be seen later on, so if i don't check them rigth away i lost them.

2. Mail notifications when you actually have the app runnig... i find it unnecessary, many people deactivate mail notifications altogether.

3. You use notifications on mobile but not on desktop, that goes against UX.

Looks like removing notifications, lyrics wasn't enough for the reta-rded ''team''.. now they're changing the whole desktop client...

Hey you RE-TA-R-DS from the stupid ''TEAM'' i have something to tell you> THIS AIN'T MOBILE, THIS IS DESKTOP, YOU AS-SH-OLES! NOT EVERYONE USES A FUC-KING TOUCH DEVICE, YOU UNDERSTAND? STOP FU-CKING THE CLIENT, THIS IS FU-CKING RIDICULOUS!

WFFH4K2.png

So, on my android device there is still a bell on the bottom left. It does show a blue dot to make me notice notifications, but I cannot open these! How annoying is that?!

Once I tap this bell, it says my inbox is empty. I know people are sharing music and messages through spotify and I'd like to see these! 

Also the 'recently shared' on their profiles seems to be gone, am I right? Did you guys really remove this feature? Isn't today's media all about sharing and interactive elements and all?!

Spotify clearly doesn't read these.  Tweet them @SpotifyCares if you want them to pay attention

I just did, thank you. It just sucks that they kind of removed the whole interactive element in their software. I'd like to see what my friends share (I know I can check Facebook, but I've got 'Spotify Only' friends as well). Long story short, we all just want this feature back, RIGHT NOW.

Suggested posts