Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Removal of desktop notifications

Removal of desktop notifications

On May 15th, we will be turning off the in-app notifications "bell" on desktop. We are continuously working to improve and simplify our notifications features, and this change will allow us to shift our focus to email and push notifications. We are also working on completely new ways of keeping you up-to-date with new album releases, helping you discover new music, and know what your friends are up to.

To make sure you have your email and push notifications set up the way you'd like, check out the steps here.

Please share any feedback you have here in the Community. We're listening, and will pass it all on to the team.

1,243 Replies

I, too have a big problem with the removal...yes i can see it on my mobile, but im hardly connected through either mobile data (costs extra$$$) or wifi (not everywhere is good enough wifi), so everything i choose in my playlists, i choose at home, using the desktop client (which is actually a LOT easier to use searching for new music).

so. please, bring that thing back

tillymans

Guys, stop whining and demanding - they are not listening to anything you say. Clearly, Spotify team is feeling the breath of competitors on their necks, hence their panicky moves and lack of coherence in UX.

I strongly suggest "voting with your legs". Find yourselves more suitable music streaming service provider - actually every other is superior, now when the bell is gone.

Just in case anyone here is still blocking the updating of spotify desktop (even if this is no longer working for the bell issue):

Please read this & update to 1.0.42!

There might be a serious issue for your hardware otherwise!

http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2016/11/for-five-months-spotify-has-badly-abused-users...

This seems like a failed experiement.  When is the bell coming back?

BRING BACK THE **bleep**ING BELL

WHY ? WHY ????!

@spotifycares have confirmed that email notifications of new releases have been stopped, too.

If their advertising department is looking for a new tagline might I suggest:

Spotify: We're making it even harder to find the music you love. 

Follow me

**bleep**????? Now I don't have the possibility anymore to get notifications about artists *I* did choose to follow at all? (without using great things like Spotify companion. But that's nothing the average user will ever know about). This is the overkill. Emails were annoying, but at least we got the information. Release Radar just doesn't work with albums and I've a lot of examples of releases of followed artists missing.

I did compare Release Radar with the new releases of my followed artists found by Spotify Companion. This tells everything... So many releases not showing up at all. And even with the songs included from released albums it's stupid as I don't know if it's an album or a single. In theory I'd need to click on every entry in Release Radar and look if it's part of an album.

Wise Guys - Das Beste komplett (album) - only 1 song in Release Radar
Wise Guys - Kleine Männer (single) - not in Release Radar
Amir - Au coeur de moi (album) - only 1 song in Release Radar
Jakob Karlberg - 1990 (single) - in Release Radar
Freddie - Pioneers (album) - not in Release Radar
Birgit - Leekides Tee (single) - not in Release Radar
easyFun & Noonie Bao - Monopoly (single) - not in Release Radar
Ott Lepland - Maailm mu ees (album) - not in Release Radar
Zoe - La nuit des merveilles (single) - in Release Radar
Club for five - Joulun parhaat (album) - not in Release Radar
Jüri Pootsmann - Täna (album) - only 1 song in Release Radar
J-AX, Fedez, Stash - Assenzio (single) - not in Release Radar
Club for five - Kaikki parhat (album) - not in Release Radar

Not surprising. Release Radar is just algorithm fetishism and is probably as useless as Facebook top stories. Personally I have avoided even touching Release Radar to not add to the statistics. Cancelling is not an option for me (family account) but I will not aknowledge their inferior replacement of the notification bell.

Actually could you send me my recomendations through Floppy disk? I can send my carrier pidgeon over to give you my mourse code telegram extension. W H A T  Y E A R         I S   I T ?

I send a private message to rorey, to tell him to look at this thread, i think it's for nothing, but who knows ?..
mafalda-basta 2.jpg

since the darn bell is gone, I've been using the e-mail notification **bleep** but boom! that's gone as well.

One day we will all wake up and see spotify completely removed from our computers. How about that SPOTIFY devs? You couldn't think of this yet, right? Thank me later 😉

Gone with the wind.

@Rorey wrote:

On May 15th, we will be turning off the in-app notifications "bell" on desktop. We are continuously working to improve and simplify our notifications features, and this change will allow us to shift our focus to email and push notifications.

Right, okay, so the whole point of turning off the notifications bell and annoying so many people was to allow you to shift your focus to email(!) and push notifications. Six months later and you've scrapped them! That's brilliant!

And you're still pushing Release Radar as a viable alternative. And your artists' page still claims that every new release is added to follower's playlists when that simply doesn't happen.

I'll tell you what we want: we'd like...every new release...by

every artist we follow...put into a playlist as soon as it's released. That's all. Release Radar, call it what you will. It's THAT simple. Do that one simple thing and everyone would be overjoyed.

Have you got any jobs going at Spotify? Seriously, you could use me as a consultant or something. As someone who's been using the program for hours on end every day for years (unlike your designers, it seems) it'd help avoid any more calamitous rooster-ups like this.

*Edit* Ha! You're not allowed to say c o c k up!

Follow me

No Bell

No email

No Pushup

Nothing works.

Good jop Spotify.

This thread needs to be noticed by Spotify ...

fb-page:https://www.facebook.com/SpotifyCares

twitter: https://www.twitter.com/SpotifyCares

#bringbackthebell

#spotifail

If anyone has press-contacts, don't hesitate to draw their attention 😉

the spotify dev team are about as useful as anne franks drum kit these days

That was the best feature you had. It makes me sad and frustrated that after some time trying Apple Music, I changed to back to Spotifiy specifically because of the notifications about releases from the artists I follow.

Really sad. I am wondering what is the point on removing this feature.

Interesting that even a record company has got fed up with Spotify's notifications (or lack of them). Kobalt Music is allowing people to pre-save Laura Marling's new album. David Emery, VP of global marketing strategy, explains:

"Their API lets you add releases to someone’s library if they authorise it...we’ve added a layer on top of that to do that when a future release comes out.

Even if you do follow an artist, you don’t necessarily get a notification when a new song or album comes out. It might show up in your Release Radar playlist or it might not. Its a bit disconnected.” (My bold)

"It’s great that we can do this: that we have the power to build the infrastructure for our artists. But the bigger picture is that it would be great if streaming services could build in this functionality,”

Full article here: http://musically.com/2016/12/01/kobalt-explains-its-laura-marling-spotify-pre-save-campaign/

Follow me

Spotify objective:
          Force you to hear
   What you do not want to hear

Spoiler

As illustrated at >> this link, << you can get working BellNotifications if you make your own "programming fixes" for the bugs in the Spotify player system.

Yes, @gareth8, even though the free market forces Spotify to betray its paying customers, still Spotify is decent enough to "allow" the users to make their own "programming fixes" to the defective Spotify player system, right?

So, I'm getting more confused by the day.

You can follow artists but the only way to hopefully (!) see their new releases is the Release Radar. Especially since the bell, mail and mobile notifications have gone.

It has been clearly established that the Release Radar is far from complete so.....

why would I follow artists at all? If I need to check them manually anyway to see if they have new releases or not.

Suggested posts