Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Removal of desktop notifications

Removal of desktop notifications

On May 15th, we will be turning off the in-app notifications "bell" on desktop. We are continuously working to improve and simplify our notifications features, and this change will allow us to shift our focus to email and push notifications. We are also working on completely new ways of keeping you up-to-date with new album releases, helping you discover new music, and know what your friends are up to.

To make sure you have your email and push notifications set up the way you'd like, check out the steps here.

Please share any feedback you have here in the Community. We're listening, and will pass it all on to the team.

1,243 Replies

anyone know how a desktop user could write some code to add new tracks from followed artists to a playlist?  i would love that.  i'm not interested in having music from artists i don't follow pushed on me by the release radar.

@the_train You can use the program Companion for Spotify (https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/store/p/companion-for-spotify/9nblggh5v1tt), it does exactly that: Checking for new releases of your followed artists and afterwards you can add them to the Companion Playlist (in the free version, if you pay you can decide about the playlist I think, but the free version is totally sufficient enough for me). This program is the only reason I didn't cancel my Spotify subscription yet.

Is there something similar available for windows 7?

When will it be fixed? No notifications anymore either for Desktop, nor App or Email!

Btw does someone know if Apple Music does have a notification function for new release?

Jingle bells, jingle bells

jingle all the way...

Breaking features all the time
In an account that I pay! 

So I received an email today indicating that 

An answer to a question you are following has been accepted as a solution! and inviting me to view the solution in the community. Now the community is a big place so if anyone could save me a little time by pointing me to the solution to the notification problem, I would be grateful. And Merry Christmas/Happy Holidays!

There is none. The so-called solution is to install a separate app, Companion for Spotify, which isn't even available on Mac.

Follow me on Spotify

In that case, does someone know an other app/website/system where you get notifications of new releases?

(For win 7 or android)

Companion for Spotify is available on Android.

Follow me

You are right (unfortunately it's not compatible with my android version)

How silly to accept downloading a separate app as solution to this problem.

Exactly. This is something that needs to be implemented by Spotify. The bell was definitely broken (although it hadn't always been), but removing it and giving us e-mail(!) in exchange just makes everything even worse.

I'd consider notifying a user when an artist they follow releases something, or providing a user-specific list of new releases, basic functionality of any music streaming service. But as we all know, nothing is basic enough for Spotify to keep, is it? I'm looking forward to the removal of the pause button next year!

Follow me on Spotify

The solution was notifications via email and then they killed that option. Bunch of a-hole developers... 

By they way, how ironic that this messageboard has a working notification bell. Probably not made in-house then.

This one helped me a lot, thx!

Yes the last "notification" e-mail I got had the title "Songtitle by Artist and much more now available on Spotify!"

and the e-mail itself said:

"New for you: Songtitle by Artist is now available for you on Spotify! You can listen to this and other new songs on your Release Radar." (translated from my native language). So it was really only a notification e-mail to promote the horrible Release Radar. Please people, never look on your Release Radar. If you do you'll only encourage them by increasing the usage statistics.

We want the bell back!!!

My 2017 wish-list: 

- world peace

- bring the bell back

Suggested posts