Removal of desktop notifications

Removal of desktop notifications

Rorey
Spotify
Spotify

On May 15th, we will be turning off the in-app notifications "bell" on desktop. We are continuously working to improve and simplify our notifications features, and this change will allow us to shift our focus to email and push notifications. We are also working on completely new ways of keeping you up-to-date with new album releases, helping you discover new music, and know what your friends are up to.

To make sure you have your email and push notifications set up the way you'd like, check out the steps here.

Please share any feedback you have here in the Community. We're listening, and will pass it all on to the team.

1,243 Replies

mikejadamson
Regular

Dumb dumb dumb dumb dumb. Companion for Spotify does let me know when acts I follow have new releases out but it would be so much easier to get the info within Spotify itself. Release Radar is ok but it obviously doesn't perform the task as required. I'm not expecting any change but it is a little bit fun to renew acquaintances on the thread every few months. Sigh.

Z3us
Music Fan

New release radar or the mail/push notifications are not a solution ! They constantly miss notifications for artists I follow.. what's the point of following them now ! 

makanimike
Music Fan
  • To whomever set this to solved:  

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

RobertLoblaw
Music Fan

Totally agree it shouldn't have been marked as solved.

This means it's no longer an open issue as far as Spotify are concerned so are even more likely to ignore it.

cali-tpk
Roadie
I send a private message to rorey, to tell him to look at this thread, i think it's for nothing, but who knows ?..
mafalda-basta 2.jpg

gareth8
Roadie

@spotifycares have confirmed that email notifications of new releases have been stopped, too.

If their advertising department is looking for a new tagline might I suggest:

Spotify: We're making it even harder to find the music you love. 

Follow me

DerMoment1608
Roadie
**bleep**????? Now I don't have the possibility anymore to get notifications about artists *I* did choose to follow at all? (without using great things like Spotify companion. But that's nothing the average user will ever know about). This is the overkill. Emails were annoying, but at least we got the information. Release Radar just doesn't work with albums and I've a lot of examples of releases of followed artists missing.

DerMoment1608
Roadie

I did compare Release Radar with the new releases of my followed artists found by Spotify Companion. This tells everything... So many releases not showing up at all. And even with the songs included from released albums it's stupid as I don't know if it's an album or a single. In theory I'd need to click on every entry in Release Radar and look if it's part of an album.

Wise Guys - Das Beste komplett (album) - only 1 song in Release Radar
Wise Guys - Kleine Männer (single) - not in Release Radar
Amir - Au coeur de moi (album) - only 1 song in Release Radar
Jakob Karlberg - 1990 (single) - in Release Radar
Freddie - Pioneers (album) - not in Release Radar
Birgit - Leekides Tee (single) - not in Release Radar
easyFun & Noonie Bao - Monopoly (single) - not in Release Radar
Ott Lepland - Maailm mu ees (album) - not in Release Radar
Zoe - La nuit des merveilles (single) - in Release Radar
Club for five - Joulun parhaat (album) - not in Release Radar
Jüri Pootsmann - Täna (album) - only 1 song in Release Radar
J-AX, Fedez, Stash - Assenzio (single) - not in Release Radar
Club for five - Kaikki parhat (album) - not in Release Radar

Pone
Gig Goer

Not surprising. Release Radar is just algorithm fetishism and is probably as useless as Facebook top stories. Personally I have avoided even touching Release Radar to not add to the statistics. Cancelling is not an option for me (family account) but I will not aknowledge their inferior replacement of the notification bell.

freebox1
Music Fan
BRING BACK THE **bleep**ING BELL

WHY ? WHY ????!

bryanjj
Casual Listener

This seems like a failed experiement.  When is the bell coming back?

tillymans
Music Fan

I, too have a big problem with the removal...yes i can see it on my mobile, but im hardly connected through either mobile data (costs extra$$$) or wifi (not everywhere is good enough wifi), so everything i choose in my playlists, i choose at home, using the desktop client (which is actually a LOT easier to use searching for new music).

so. please, bring that thing back

tillymans

xmit90
Casual Listener

So, on my android device there is still a bell on the bottom left. It does show a blue dot to make me notice notifications, but I cannot open these! How annoying is that?!

Once I tap this bell, it says my inbox is empty. I know people are sharing music and messages through spotify and I'd like to see these! 

Also the 'recently shared' on their profiles seems to be gone, am I right? Did you guys really remove this feature? Isn't today's media all about sharing and interactive elements and all?!

toppy42
Music Fan

Spotify clearly doesn't read these.  Tweet them @SpotifyCares if you want them to pay attention

xmit90
Casual Listener

I just did, thank you. It just sucks that they kind of removed the whole interactive element in their software. I'd like to see what my friends share (I know I can check Facebook, but I've got 'Spotify Only' friends as well). Long story short, we all just want this feature back, RIGHT NOW.

Clawz
Regular

Guys, stop whining and demanding - they are not listening to anything you say. Clearly, Spotify team is feeling the breath of competitors on their necks, hence their panicky moves and lack of coherence in UX.

I strongly suggest "voting with your legs". Find yourselves more suitable music streaming service provider - actually every other is superior, now when the bell is gone.

tonistair
Music Fan

Just in case anyone here is still blocking the updating of spotify desktop (even if this is no longer working for the bell issue):

Please read this & update to 1.0.42!

There might be a serious issue for your hardware otherwise!

http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2016/11/for-five-months-spotify-has-badly-abused-users...

KingSantos
Gig Goer

Looks like removing notifications, lyrics wasn't enough for the reta-rded ''team''.. now they're changing the whole desktop client...

Hey you RE-TA-R-DS from the stupid ''TEAM'' i have something to tell you> THIS AIN'T MOBILE, THIS IS DESKTOP, YOU AS-SH-OLES! NOT EVERYONE USES A FUC-KING TOUCH DEVICE, YOU UNDERSTAND? STOP FU-CKING THE CLIENT, THIS IS FU-CKING RIDICULOUS!

WFFH4K2.png

nadasdenadas
Regular

1. Push notifications can't be seen later on, so if i don't check them rigth away i lost them.

2. Mail notifications when you actually have the app runnig... i find it unnecessary, many people deactivate mail notifications altogether.

3. You use notifications on mobile but not on desktop, that goes against UX.

battles_atlas
Music Fan

Swear to god Spotify have a department that exists purely to troll users. Its like never implementing an EQ function, or all those lost years when they decided to make the central Play button actually do random order play instead.

This bell thing is moronic. I really hope there is some tawdry but rational basis for it, like Spotify figured it would save them 12cents to use email instead of in-app. If it is a "design" decision, then dammmmmn, sack your team, and hire someone that knows what "UX" means.

This brilliant new system means I get a push notification on my phone, which is useless because I rarely listen on my phone. I either leave the notification sitting there, filling up the space and annoying me, or I remove it and try and remember next time I start Spotify on my desktop what the new album was. Or, I just forget. 90% of my Spotify use is on desktop, let me be notified on desktop. FFS.

jvanwestendorp
Gig Goer

Actually I was just thinking that since the bell disappeared that my Spotify usage has decreased. It's cumbersome to check playlist, that I follow, all manually. Next to the point, that I will not check over 600 artists to see if they have a new release.

And yes, I will not use my phone to check notifications, it's shait. And the release radar etc are more shait. The only thing I want is to have a single place with notifications on new releases of artists and updates of playlist that I follow -> in the Windows application! There must be a way to do this if Spotify can do it on the mobile app and even worse, send e-mails.

@Rorey, maybe you can finally provide some sense and guidance? This thread is over 100 pages long with active users complaining. By all means, someone must have noticed there is some theme to look into?

SUGGESTED POSTS