Removal of desktop notifications

Removal of desktop notifications

Rorey
Spotify
Spotify

On May 15th, we will be turning off the in-app notifications "bell" on desktop. We are continuously working to improve and simplify our notifications features, and this change will allow us to shift our focus to email and push notifications. We are also working on completely new ways of keeping you up-to-date with new album releases, helping you discover new music, and know what your friends are up to.

To make sure you have your email and push notifications set up the way you'd like, check out the steps here.

Please share any feedback you have here in the Community. We're listening, and will pass it all on to the team.

1,243 Replies

jonathansbetter
Casual Listener

I believe that we should have the option to turn off notifications on desktop, rather than just removing the feature entirely. 

jonathansbetter
Casual Listener

Also, if on a Chromebook, you can go to settings a turn off notifications there. 

rotox

Wow yet another key feature removed without any consultation with the user base. Been a fan of Spotify for awhile and a premium user but lately it seems that lately the knocks I have against it are mainly for functionality that was once there is just removed. Its almost like doing an update is going to remove functionality instead of enhancing or adding any. Really getting disappointed with this approach especially with other services like Apple Music improving their platform.

This was definitely a feature I made use of to know when artists I follow release new music. Glad to see I'm not alone in thinking this.

Catrik

@Rorey wrote:

We are continuously working to improve and simplify our notifications features, and this change will allow us to shift our focus to email and push notifications. 

Please share any feedback you have here in the Community. We're listening, and will pass it all on to the team.

That hurts my head. How on earth is email and push notifications simplifying things??

Why would you remove the bell? How is that so much trouble for you to remove it? What are you trying to do? Why would you try to force emails or phone notifications for us?

When I come home and want to listen to music, I open Spotify and listen to music. If there are new releases from artists I like, I want to know about it. You agree right? What I DON'T want is having to open my email or go to my phone to know about it. That doesn't make any sense. Why would you intentionally complicate things?

I sure do hope you are listening and fix this issue.

E: I cancelled my subscription. You are abviously just trying to rip more money off us, I don't know how but I don't see any other reason for this. And I don't see you changing your mind about it either and I'm not going to support developers like this.

_dan_mooney_
Regular

We're in the dark until notifications are back. 

Are you able to advise as to when you think we will be able to be notified of new releases / playlist updates? 

tylermetcalf
Regular

111 pages of happy customers eh spotify.

Please respond to your customers at least.

Da76
Regular

My 2017 wish-list: 

- world peace

- bring the bell back

cali-tpk
Roadie

@Da76 wrote:

My 2017 wish-list: 

- world peace

- bring the bell back

I had given up, but I was just coming back to say the same thing! But I think our wishes will not be carry out ... 😞 (in french ) j'avais abandonné , mais je revenais juste pour dire la même chose! mais je pense que nos voeux ne seront pas exaucés ... 😞

jvanwestendorp
Gig Goer

I started to use swarm.fm and it's rather nice.

Its really decently developed and given the fact that Spotify seems to hot on ignoring users and reducing functionality, I don't see much of an alternative for the moment.

Btw, I have also used Companion for Spotify but I find it less snappy. Just my personal preference.

Joa0
Music Fan

but not in that order

takerprods

We want the bell back!!!

oliveredl
Music Fan
How silly to accept downloading a separate app as solution to this problem.

wolflambert
Roadie

Exactly. This is something that needs to be implemented by Spotify. The bell was definitely broken (although it hadn't always been), but removing it and giving us e-mail(!) in exchange just makes everything even worse.

I'd consider notifying a user when an artist they follow releases something, or providing a user-specific list of new releases, basic functionality of any music streaming service. But as we all know, nothing is basic enough for Spotify to keep, is it? I'm looking forward to the removal of the pause button next year!

Follow me on Spotify

Joa0
Music Fan

In that case, does someone know an other app/website/system where you get notifications of new releases?

(For win 7 or android)

patamushta
Regular

yasser10
Casual Listener

This one helped me a lot, thx!

gareth8
Roadie

Companion for Spotify is available on Android.

Follow me

Joa0
Music Fan

You are right (unfortunately it's not compatible with my android version)

mikejadamson
Regular

So I received an email today indicating that 

An answer to a question you are following has been accepted as a solution! and inviting me to view the solution in the community. Now the community is a big place so if anyone could save me a little time by pointing me to the solution to the notification problem, I would be grateful. And Merry Christmas/Happy Holidays!

richardvb
Music Fan

The solution was notifications via email and then they killed that option. Bunch of a-hole developers... 

Pone
Gig Goer

Yes the last "notification" e-mail I got had the title "Songtitle by Artist and much more now available on Spotify!"

and the e-mail itself said:

"New for you: Songtitle by Artist is now available for you on Spotify! You can listen to this and other new songs on your Release Radar." (translated from my native language). So it was really only a notification e-mail to promote the horrible Release Radar. Please people, never look on your Release Radar. If you do you'll only encourage them by increasing the usage statistics.

SUGGESTED POSTS