Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Remove local files after a reinstallation (Mac OS Sierra 10.13.3)

Remove local files after a reinstallation (Mac OS Sierra 10.13.3)

How do I remove playable files from local files in Spotify when the original files are moved og deleted form its original maps? I have tried deleting everything that has with Spotify(that I found), and downloaded the installation file again. Spotify still logs me om automaticly, and the former so local files still comes up and are playable on spotify!?

And I´ve been reading all of the other tips and tricks without any help at all.

8 Replies

Hey @roqer

First of all, thanks for putting the version of Mac OS you are using, this is really helpful! I've got a couple of things here for you to try, they should work. 

1. Close Spotify

2. Navigate to "/Users/username/Library/Application Support/Spotify/Users/seemingly-random-numbers-and-letters-user/" ***

3. Delete the file named local-files.bnk

4. Start Spotify

*** If you can't find this folder, here are two ways to get to it:

A. Open Finder. Click "Go" in the menu bar and hold down the "option" key. "Library" will appear. Click it, navigate to "Application Support/Spotify/Users/" etc.

B. Open Finder. Click "Go" in the menu bar and "Go to Folder...". Enter "/Users/username/Library/", then click "Go". Navigate to "Application Support/Spotify/Users/" etc.

Having done this, go onto your finder and press 

CMD + SHIFT + .

Press once to show hidden files and conduct the same process again to make sure your log is completely cleared BEFORE proceeding to reinstall Spotify.

Let me know how this goes 🙂 

Anyone?

Ups! Sorry, I didn´t see your answer... I´ll try your tips.

Did not help. Still playable files in "local files"

Sorry to hear this hasn't helped. There may be another local file folder here:
/Users/*your username*/Library/Application Support/Spotify/Users/*yournumbers*-us

Delete the local files folder here too. Make sure the desktop app is closed when doing this.

No files or folder there. Not good enough Spotify! Fix it!

If I reinstall Spotify, you could think that the files would be gone, but then the .bnk-files are gone, and noe new file or folder is found.

Sorry that this didn't work @roqer. I'm pretty confident that this will solve the problem.

1. Open your desktop app. Go into Preferences and scroll down to your local files and turn off both switches (see screenshot). This should prevent the application from restoring the local cache as soon as you delete them.

2. Check both file destinations and delete local-files.bnk

a) "/Users/username/Library/Application Support/Spotify/Users/seemingly-random-numbers-and-letters-user/"

b) /Users/*your username*/Library/Application Support/Spotify/Users/*yournumbers*-us

3. Restard your Mac

4. Launch Spotify.

Let me know how this goes, if it solves your problem please mark it as the solution 🙂

Screen Shot 2018-02-25 at 14.54.19.png

1. Both have been off since the instalation of Spotify.

2. No files with that name on my Mac. No .bnk-files on may Mac.

a/b. No folder with this name: Spotify/Users/*yournumbers*-us in Application Support

3. Check.

4. Check

And the result is the same as last time...

Suggested posts