Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Repeatedly removing songs from filtered playlist becomes increasingly slow

Repeatedly removing songs from filtered playlist becomes increasingly slow

Plan: Premium

Device: Macbook Pro 2017

Operating System: High Sierra

I've been organizing my music into genre playlists recently. To do that I have an 'unsorted' playlist, which I remove songs from when I put them in a particular genre playlist. To do so, I filter for the song name in 'unsorted' and then select the 'Remove from this playlist' option in the '...' menu. Each time I do this, the operation gets slower (seemingly exponential growth--not sure about that but definitely superlinear, also definitely somewhat stochastic). Memory use doesn't significantly increase even when the operation takes ~5 seconds; however CPU usage hops up to around 15-20%, rather than its normal (playing music) level of 1-10%.

This issue isn't preventing me from doing anything, but it could indicate a deeper inefficiency in how you're removing from playlists. I haven't looked into the effect of filtering vs not on the performance, nor the relationship with playlist size--though my 'unsorted' playlist is pretty large at ~3,000 songs.

1 Reply

Hi there!

I know it sounds simple, but it's often overlooked. Could you try restarting your device? If that doesn't help, try a quick clean reinstall of the app. Just follow these steps. I'd also recommend disabling Hardware Acceleration which can be found in the Spotify Menu next to the Apple Menu in your Menu Bar, click on HA to disable it and confirm to restart Spotify. Also, if you don't use local files with Spotify you can disable them inside the settings of the app.

If you're still having trouble, could you let me know the exact version of Spotify and the exact version of the operating system you're running?

I'll see what I can suggest next!

Suggested posts