Free/Premium

Country

Device

iMac

Operating System

iOS 10

My Question or Issue

Hello guys,

I've just bumped into a strange issue. My wife sent me a playlist link for Spotify, and specifically asked me to play two songs. When I opened the playlist in Safari, I noticed the two songs she was talking about. But when I hit "Open in Spotify", the two songs were missing from the playlist. I still had the same number of songs as specified in the browser playlist, but at least two songs (if not more) were replaced by other tracks. I opened the link on my iPhone,  and I discovered the same problem. My wife, on the other hand, is able to find and play the two songs in question on her iPhone. We live in the same country, in the same city, in the same apartment and we both have Premium. How is this possible?

In case it matters, the playlist is made by Spotify and you can see it here:

Essential Indie

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hey @Florinaron,

Thanks for reaching out about this!

We recently changed the way some of our Spotify-curated playlists work, so that now they will be personalized according to individual users' tastes and listening habits.

In practice, this means that the same Spotify playlist can contain different songs depending on the user who is viewing the playlist. It looks like this is the case for Essential Indie.

Hope that helps answer your question! Let us know if there's anything else we can help with 🙂

View solution in original post

10 Replies
Marked as solution

Hey @Florinaron,

Thanks for reaching out about this!

We recently changed the way some of our Spotify-curated playlists work, so that now they will be personalized according to individual users' tastes and listening habits.

In practice, this means that the same Spotify playlist can contain different songs depending on the user who is viewing the playlist. It looks like this is the case for Essential Indie.

Hope that helps answer your question! Let us know if there's anything else we can help with 🙂

Thank you, Peter. This answers my question. Have a nice day!

Change it back, this is very annoying when the same play list that I listen to has completely different songs on one device than another. I pay you money for this not to happen, I’ll be taking legal actions soon as my money is being used in a manner inconsistent with what I pay for. 

I am the only listener. My playlists are different in different devices that ONLY I am signed in to. I’ll be taking legal actions to get all my payments for that past year back from this company, I left Pandora for similar issues! 

Hey, this feature kinda sucks.  I have friends sending me playlists to check out and now we can't really be on the same page. Please go back to the old way.  Trust me. Since you made this change I'm honestly hearing too much of my "personal taste and listening habits."  I've noticed It's been harder to find new music in the last few years and now I know why.  Please go back.

I am logged in as the SAME (and only) user on two devices, and I see different songs. Why? This is extremely annoying as I cannot continue listening to the same playlist when I switch devices!

Plan

Premium

Country

Australia

Device

iPhone 11

Operating System

iOS, Windows 11

My Question or Issue

Please tell me how to turn off the "made for" feature in playlists. All that I would like is to have the curated playlists, not another playlist that is "made for" me when it's just the same songs over and over again. When I first click on a playlist it comes up with the curated songs then it loads in this "Made for [profile name]" at the top. Please tell me how to turn this off. See the attachment for what I am referring to. Please note this happens across all of my devices. It does not occur on playlists such as the chars or daily top hits (as id assume so.)

Screenshot 2023-10-23 200925.png

Tried to follow the link but Spotify prevent me from going any further saying that I don't have enough privileges to go to the link!

Absolutely appalling as I am part of a premium family membership and this whole playlist changing feature absolutely sucks!

The goodness sake change this feature back!

If you want to share a playlist with someone, you want to share the playlist that you are listening to not a completely different one where you have no idea what the songs are!

The whole point of 'sharing' the playlist becomes pointless, because you're not sharing the playlist that you are listening to! 

What's the point having a 'share' option if the songs are going to be different! Just bizarre!

The argument from Spotify that it gives people a chance to hear different music is also complete tosh, as it changes the playlist back to music that they normally listen to, rather than it being potentially a totally different type of music as it's been sent from someone else!

Suggested posts