Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Saved song vs liked song - what has just happened?

Solved!

Saved song vs liked song - what has just happened?

Plan

Premium

Country

Sweden

Device

Mac

Operating System

OS 10.12.6

My Question or Issue

I wonder why the new "liked song" feature (the heart) which has replaced the "saved song" feature (the checked sign) is not working at all... In the past, only "saved songs" appeared in my albums in the albums list, while now when it changed to "liked songs" it has no function at all. Everything is there all the time...

As an example, in the past, i could save an entire album, then remove song 3 and 7 from the "saved songs" and the album will now be playing without these songs. Today when the "heart" has replaced this and its called "liked songs" all songs are in this album. The fact that song 3 and 7 has no "heart" next to it, doesn't really change anything.

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hi @MichaelBohlin,

Hope you are doing well. An update in June brought about some changes to how Your Library works, including changing saved songs to liked songs, and changes to saving albums. Please see this post for more information on these changes. You can no longer save partial albums to your album list, only full liked albums will show there. Also, so you know, hitting the like (<3) button on an album will no longer also like all the songs within it; you will have to use the three dot menu and choose "like all songs"  on mobile, select all songs and right click and choose "like all songs" on desktop, or like each song individually if you want to do so.

Hope this helps,

Dani

View solution in original post

6 Replies
Marked as solution

Hi @MichaelBohlin,

Hope you are doing well. An update in June brought about some changes to how Your Library works, including changing saved songs to liked songs, and changes to saving albums. Please see this post for more information on these changes. You can no longer save partial albums to your album list, only full liked albums will show there. Also, so you know, hitting the like (<3) button on an album will no longer also like all the songs within it; you will have to use the three dot menu and choose "like all songs"  on mobile, select all songs and right click and choose "like all songs" on desktop, or like each song individually if you want to do so.

Hope this helps,

Dani

Thanks Dani,

What puzzles me completely here, is why Spotify wants to change a great function into something completely useless. I mean, this was one of the best features of using Spotify and what is really the use of the heart-function? I cannogt see any point in that.

This falls under the category on how to change something great into something bad. It makes no sense to me at all. I hope someone can explain why, and also how i can achieve the same functionality as it was previously, with some workarounds.

I disagree completely with whoever said this problem is 'solved'. The 'new' system is inflexible and inconvenient. What does it even mean to have something in your library anymore? If I like an album the entire album is listed in Albums and Artists. I can't remove songs I don't want to hear from either location. This is especially relevant for Greatest Hits albums. I can like specific songs from an album but then it only shows up in the Artist tab which left me trying to figure out if an album is located in Albums or just the partial album in the Artists tab. Time wasted. The obvious solution to this is to not even bother with the Album tab. It serves absolutely no purpose. Full and partial albums are always in the Artist tab. Can't shuffle from the Artist tab though so it is pretty useless too.

Michael,

I wish I could explain the reasoning behind these changes. You're definitely not alone in your frustration. As for workarounds, there are some, but they're rather clunky. For the albums problem, if there are a few albums that you tend to default to, I would recommend creating a playlist of the album with the songs you want to include in it. There is, unfortunately, no way to save partial albums to your albums list right now. 

Sorry for the bad news. If there's any other changed features that you are trying to find workaround for, let me know and I may be able to suggest something.

Dani

Creating playlists for all of my edited albums isn't a solution. Do you have any idea how long that would take? I use Spotify to listen to music. Not to try and come up with workarounds for features so many previously used.

@user-removed,

Yes, I do realize how long that would take. Another user asked about workarounds, which is why I responded with one. I hope you figure out something tag works for you.

Suggested posts