Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Search bar disappeared

Search bar disappeared

Plan

Premium

Device

Macbook Pro 13" 2017

Operating System

MacOS 10.14.1

My Question or Issue

Search bar next to previous/next navigation at the top of the screen has been gone for a while now. Only way to search is by going to search in the menu on the left, which is quite annoying. Latest update had no effect, restarting has no effect, been going through the preferences but there doesn't seem to be an option to enable/disable the search bar. Any ideas?

Screenshot 2019-04-08 at 13.58.32.png
11 Replies

The same thing happened to me. Going to the search menu every time is very clunky and none of the updates have fixed it. 

Also experiencing this issue on a MacBook Pro 13" 2016 TouchBar. I now have to navigate to the search page in order to search for something and it's a real pain.

I have tried completely removing Spotify, including the cached files in the library directory and then reinstalling to no avail. I'm wondering if this is a design choice and not a bug?

Either way it's extremely frustrating.

Hey @5go-kyy2p_cp9@neutraltone and @joshaldrich89,

Thanks for getting in touch!

At Spotify, we’re often testing and launching improvements and new features. When we’re testing, you may see something on the app your friend doesn’t, or get a new feature for only a temporary period.

Tip: Make sure you don't miss a thing by enabling automatic updates on your device.

Let us know if you have further questions.

Have a nice day.

Will it be coming back, its really really annoying having to search via the search bar?

Grim, I ended up the wrong side of a split test this time.

Hi @Guido,

Ah, I already thought this might be the case. Seems a bit of an odd UI design choice though, since searching through millions of songs is precisely what makes Spotify so great. Besides, this test has been going on for quite a while now. Can I opt out of these kinds of experiments? I don't mind being a test subject, but this just felt like bad design decision form the outset, hampering user experience for no good reason. I'd just like my search bar back.

Assuming this is part of a design test, is there any way that I can get the search bar back? This is an extremely clunky UI feature if it is one that is being piloted. I have updated several times since the search bar first disappeared and it still hasn't been restored. Is there anything I can do to make it come back? 

Same problem here, it's been weeks since the search bar disappeared.

HI, 

Can we have our search bar back?

At each new update, I'm waiting for the return of the search bar.

But still nothing...

Hey folks,

Just to follow up on what @Guido said, we do not know how long this test will be running for, however for now it's not being released as an official feature.

We appreciate your feedback on this, and we'll make sure to pass it on to the relevant team so that it can be taken into consideration going forward.

Thanks! Take care 🙂

Suggested posts