Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Searching on Spotify (Mac OS)

Searching on Spotify (Mac OS)

Plan

Premium

Country

Indonesia

Device

Macbook Pro (Early 2015)

Operating System

macOS High Sierra

My Question or Issues 

Hi, sorry to bother you guys but I have been experiencing this problem with searching for the last 3 months. I can not search anything at all. I can type in the search bar, however nothing comes up when I press enter so all I can do is type in the search bar. Also I have tried restarting my laptop dozen of times and I have re-installed the spotify app twice, to see if I could fix the problem. 

Thanks

Nate

Screen Shot 2018-12-25 at 5.11.58 PM.png
12 Replies

I have the same exact problem, I have re-installed the spotify app 3 times and re-installing the app didn't fix it. I don't know what to do.

Is there someone who can recommend us what to do with the problem?

Hi @Nate25!

I know it sounds simple, but it's often overlooked. Could you try restarting your device? If that doesn't help, try a quick clean reinstall of the app. Just follow these steps. I'd also recommend installing macOS Mojave 10.14.2 🙂

If you're still having trouble, could you let me know the exact version of Spotify and the exact version of the operating system you're running?

I'll see what I can suggest next!

@kmibo

What else have you tried to solve this issue?

Have you tried with another internet connection?

Does it help if you create another user account in your Mac and install Spotify there?

If possible could you also try signing in with another Spotify account?

Please let me know and Happy Holidays to both!

I have the same issue on my Mac app. Is there a sollution to this other than deleting and reinstalling the app and restarting the mac? I've already done this it never works. The website does work and my app on my phone works also, it's just the mac desktop app which won't let me search

I've had this problem too. Sometimes I'm able to search sometimes and it takes several minutes for anything to appear, but at least those times I can see that it's loading. I restart the app but it rarely helps. I've also cleared my cache and I've done a clean reinstall it every single day all week and zero improvement. 

Webplayer works fine for me too In fact the app works so badly I'm forced to use web player simultanously all the time to be able to do anything normally, when I much prefer the desktop version in layout and streaming quality... But the desktop app works so poorly I often literally can't use it. It's that bad at this point and I don't know how much longer I can deal with this level of dysfunction. I'm beyond frustrated, I want Spotify to work and I can't believe or accept that there's no way of improving the software for your customers

Hi sorry for the very late reply, but my laptop broke and took a while to repair. 

I have already done all of the things you have suggested but it has not fixed a thing. 

I am running the newest Spotify version and I am running macOS Mojave, version 10.14.3

I hope you can help me fix this issue

Thank you 

Hey everyone, 

Thanks for letting us know. If you're not able to get any search results on the Spotify app, make sure to:

• Restart your device
  • Reinstall the app
  • Restart your router
  • Change network connection if possible
  • Make sure you're not connected to VPN
  • Go through the steps provided on this Spotify Answer (don't be mislead by the title of the article)

If that didn't work, let us know the following:

• Device model/OS
  • Spotify version (after reinstall)
  • A detailed description of what happens. When it works and when it doesn't.
  • Screenshot

Keep us posted 🙂

Hey folks,

We haven't heard from you in a while! As a result, we're going to move this thread back to the help boards.

If you're still experiencing this issue, make sure to open a new thread and we'll get back to you there.

Thanks!

Hi so sorry I didn’t see the reply . I have already tried everything
possible and nothing helps.

Hey there @Nate25,

Thanks for getting back in touch!

Just to confirm, have you tried the steps mentioned in this Spotify Answer

Further, we'd recommend giving a try toggling off Hardware Acceleration on your device to see if the issue still persists (you can find this in the app's Settings > Show Advanced Settings > Compatibility).

It'd be also helpful if you could let us know if you're still experiencing this when logging in to the desktop app with another account. 

Keep us posted 🙂

KaterinaModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself! 

Hello, sorry for the late reply (to be honest I forget about it) but I have done everything, sometimes my spotify works well but most of the times I have to wait for 2 hours to be able to search for an artist.

Even a friend of mine tried to resolve the problem and didn’t work either.

I have the latest/updated version of spotify.

Hi there,

I have tried everything you have recommended and nothing has fixed my
account, however I made a new account to test if my search worked - and it
did. So I don't why its only doing this to my account. And again it doesn't
work on my laptop only on my phone.

Thanks,
Nathan

Hey there folks,

@Nate25, since you mention that Search works with no issues on your Mac device from another account, we'd suggest using that new account instead. Keep in mind that you can follow the steps provided in this Spotify Answer if you'd like to transfer your music and people you follow to your new account. 

@kmibo, you mention having tried all steps, including the ones here. Just to confirm, could you let us know if using another account from your desktop device helps? 

If not, it'd be helpful if you could let us know the following details:

• Your device model and its OS (Operating System) version
  • The version of the Spotify app
  • A detailed description of what happens. When it works and when it doesn't.
  • Any screenshots of what happens. Just make sure that no private/sensitive info is dispayed.

@capillaries, could you let us know if the issue still persists for you and if you've tried the steps provided here? If possible, it would be helpful if you could give it a try from another account and let us know if that makes any difference. If not, please let us know the info above 🙂

We'll be keeping an eye out for your replies, thanks!

KaterinaModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself! 

Suggested posts