Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Secret "Discover Weekly" Playlist?

Solved!

Secret "Discover Weekly" Playlist?

I stumbled across a "Discover Weekly" playlist that somehow made its way into my Playlists tab this afternoon. I've been listening to it since then and it's great!

However, the playlist just mysteriously disappeared from all of Spotify now, and after Googling around to find it again, I found this playlist that seems to be "an EMPLOYEES ONLY test" (I'm not an employee). The description looks like:

Screen Shot 2015-04-08 at 12.26.42 AM.png

It lists the email lambda@spotify.com, which seems to be a internal Google Group that I can't send emails to.

Luckily I still have all of the songs in my play queue, so I saved them to another personal playlist. However, I'm still curious about this playlist. Was it just a test? Is it planned to be released soon? This feature seems awesome.

Also, here's a feedback form that was linked to in my original Discover Weekly playlist, which has publicly readable responses. It only has 20 reponses so far, so it seems this wasn't widespread. Screenshots are attached.
Screen Shot 2015-04-08 at 1.08.06 AM.png
Screen Shot 2015-04-08 at 1.08.16 AM.png

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hey guys!

Discover Weekly is now a feature for everyone! If you don't see it in your playlists yet, it should be coming soon.

http://www.theverge.com/2015/7/20/9001317/spotify-discover-weekly-poersonalized-playlist-deep-cuts

MattSudaSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

View solution in original post

51 Replies

Just found this playlist myself. Assumed everyone had it, but none of my friends did. I'm excited about it none the less.

I filled out the survey this morning. Still only 62 responses. Doesn't seem like this is very wide spread? I'm enjoying it though, the playlist is pretty awesome.

Did anyone find out how to recover the songs from the playlist? I was loving it, but it got replaced witha  new set! Someone help me!

Hey EchoShard, if I was you, I'd make my own playlist and add every song from Spotify Discover to it on a weekly basis. That way, when it changes you'll still have the old tracks, and over time you'll gather a huge collection of what Spotify has recommended for you.

Spotify is always testing by adding or removing features to make Spotify better overall. They're super interested in feedback regarding the Discover Weekly feature, so I've let the team know about this. They'll pass it onto the right folks!

MattSudaSpotify Star

I had one for a few weeks as well, and it just disappeared today! Has anyone figured out how to get it back? I loved it!

This exact thing--I was adoring the Discover Weekly playlist. It somehow codified my music taste when I can't even seem to do that myself. Now it's gone and I hadn't saved all the songs on it. Wishing I could get it back 😕

Actually, if you know how to get to your Play Queue, there should be a tab to look at your history. You should be able to find those songs there! 

Discover Weekly didn't fit with our recent attempts to alienate their entire customer base, and has thus been removed.  We regret the temporary innovation, and it won't happen again.

Sincerely,

Spotify Customer Disservice

I wish . . . unfortunately, I liked it so much I listened to it on web player when I didn't have my laptop, so the history didn't get recorded.

Was logging in today, eager to see what new tracks were in the "Discover Weekly" for me and just saw it dissappear on startup. This is a very good feature Spotify, please bring it back!

Edit: Ok, I think the message is clear, the playlist may be a good idea to integrate into the Spotify service. So now for some feedback as requested by MattSuda:

(these are all "nice to have":s really)

* The recommendations are great, but it would be nice to see some hint about how they were calculated. E.g. how much are they based on "my music taste", "global/local trending artists/tracks", "new tracks" etc.

* It should be possible to flip between past weeks' playlists

* It would be nice if I could see the "discover weekly" playlists of people I'm following. This may be a privacy issue, but would be cool nontheless.

Where did this playlist go!? I loved seeing new music every week. 😞

I really liked this feature and wish they would bring it back. I was very bummed to find it gone this morning.  They did a good job of finding music that I liked. So, good algorithiming, Spotify. 

Now please bring it back!

loved Discover Weekly. Really disappointed to open Spotify today and see that it's gone.

Spotify, please bring it back! Was absolutely my fave feature of the app.

Spotify occasionally tests new features. 

This playlist was a temporary test and was in no way an "official" feature. 

There is currently no more information about it, but it may be back in the future. 

MattSudaSpotify Star

I had the Discover Weekly playlist for two weeks, and I loved it. It was a great tool for discovering tangental music that I–for the better part–hadn't listened to before. Really enjoyed gleening my favorite picks and adding them into other rotations.

I hope they bring the playlist back soon. 

Wah?! Did I get so lucky to enjoy this amazingly random feature that just so happened to pop up on my playlist tab one day? And now it's GONE?! Can't believe you would do that to me, Spotify. Bring it back, or so help me, I will roast your bones to the music gods.  Like taking away a newborn babe from my breast... How could you?! 

For the last two weeks the Discover Weekly playlist was all I listened to on Spotify (and artists that I had found through these lists).

I was amazed at how much of the music recommended to me I had not heard of before (and I listen to a LOT of music).

PLEASE bring this feature back Smiley Wink

This feature was incredible.  I am a comlete audiophile and go through dozens of albums every month and their curated list still provided tons of music I haven't heard yet.  Bring it back, I love it!

Suggested posts