Shuffle repeats songs too often

Re: Shuffle repeats songs too often

kjbllc
Music Fan

they wrote me back and want to help, I am going to wite them back for more info on how it chooses, 

My thoughts now are when you load you songs to shuffle , the order you load them in is important,  I loaded almost 2,000 but all as albums,  so Ioaded 5 albums of one artist and 3 and so on, and then added more sets of albums over a couple of weeks, I think If I reload them one album then other artists albums , that when it shuffles it will then not repeat the same artist??

zxplod
Roadie

I am having this same issue.  It really should keep a count of how many times each song has been played using shuffle then when playing using shuffle keep each songs play count as even as possiable so that it plays songs evenlly.  

kjbllc
Music Fan

they wrote back said they are looking at it, I suggest the more people contact them the faster it will happen

Dev42

That's sooo true!

I listen to my starred playlist every day in my car when I drive to work and 80% of the songs are the same. I have some songs in my starred which, I swear, I've never heard in my car.

I really hope there will be a fix for this :(

flboffin
Music Fan

I tried to contact Spotify about this problem, although it is not severe with my system. I have 2257 tracks on one playlist. Some songs never seem to play, and it does seem to have a tendency to select longer songs rather than short ones. Problem is, they have no category for this when contacting them. They need to add an "Other" category to the list of things one wants to complain about. Any one in the current list is going to make them think either (1) you're barmy, or (2) you don't know what you're writing about. Nasty, that.

Highlighted

kjbllc
Music Fan

just put it under any resonable catagory, then on the notes part tell them what you want to see happen..

flboffin
Music Fan

Good suggestion kjbllc. I used a different category and sent the following as an "idea": "Shuffle mode needs improvement. For example, Dylan's "Hurricane" is playing right now. I've heard it every day this week. I have 2257 songs in my playlist and listen 16 hrs per day. The odds of hearing any particular song should be about 10%. To hear the same song 5 days in a row should be a one in 100,000 crapshoot. It isn't, and there is the problem in a nutshell." Maybe that will get their attention.

kjbllc
Music Fan

It will be low on their priority list until more people make a stink about It. Not sure how to get more people involved

mutantdog
Roadie

I've basically given up using Spotify's shuffle. My DnB playlist has over 800 tracks in it and yet there are tunes that I can pretty much expect to play every time.

Its a bit long winded but I've started using a variation on the method below.

@Stranger wrote:

You can do it manually with this trick

1. Create your playlist the old fashion way by adding the songs, albums, etc.

2. Select all of the songs, right click and select “Copy HTTP Link”, then hit “Delete” to clear out the play list.

3. Go here, click inside the text box that says “Enter your text here…”, hit CTRL-A and then CTRL-V.  That should paste your Spotify playlist into the text box.

Full url: http://textmechanic.com/Sort-Text-Lines.html

4. Hit the “Random” button a few times.

5. Click inside the same text box then hit CTRL-A followed by CTRL-C.

6. Go back to Spotify, make sure your now-empty playlist is selected, and hit CTRL-V.

7. Voila, randomized playlist.

Yes, its long winded but i at least get to hear everything at some point or another, including many tracks i haven't heard since i added them.

FWIW though i kinda get the feeling that those tunes that keep getting played all seem to be the bigger, more popular tracks. I suspect that there may be some code within to favour the tracks most universally played. I can't help being a little suspicious that this is some sort of intentional thing possibly requested by the major labels.

Smash Up The Dancefloor (Drum & Bass)
Fluid Mechanics (Chilled)

Rollo_
Roadie

More likely, tracks get preference if they are in a higher number of users' cache, since the music is propogated by p2p.  Different, but the same.  The more popular the track, the more often its played.

On one occasion, don't remember the exact particulars, but I was getting tracks being repeated twice in a row, and on numerous occasions in the play queue.  Probably a somewhat short playlist, but not so short that you'd expect to see tracks repeated numerous times.

SUGGESTED POSTS