Shuffle repeats songs too often

Re: Shuffle repeats songs too often

mutantdog
Roadie

That would make sense i guess. Although i do find the same problem on my iPhone which as far as i'm aware isn't based on P2P at all.

It may not be intentional in the way i've speculated but there certainly feels like a correlation between relative popularity and likelihood of being played on shuffle.

Smash Up The Dancefloor (Drum & Bass)
Fluid Mechanics (Chilled)

flboffin
Music Fan

I agree with mutantdog. For a long time I've suspected that long tracks and popular songs are more apt to be played than others. If others have noticed the same tendency, then it's probably real. What they should be doing is using one of those ubiquitous pseudo-random number generators to make an almost-random number between 0 and 1 and then multiply that by the number of tracks in your playlist, round the result to the nearest integer, and play that track (you have to make an adjustment in case it comes up with a zero, but no matter--throw away zeroes and try again). It's obvious that they are not doing this.

kjbllc
Music Fan

ok I will have to read through that thing mutantdog, not as up to date on such stuff.

I agree there may be a payoff  going on for the popular tracks, but I have a lot of stuff that gets played from the 20's that no one should be getting any royalties for... but as I said I am not that savvy.

It seems that they jump to a ceritan area of you palylist, then randomize at that area of say 100 songs,  then move on, but miss whole sections completely.

kjbllc
Music Fan

ok for who ever is reading this at this point/

two ideas

take the tracks that you want, such as albums load them all onto a new list.

2. within that list , shuffle them around, crlt/click mouse  get about ten random ones

3. move them to another location on that list.

do that  a lot so you have everything mixed up , 

after a time mix them all up again. 

although they should have a better fix, until then this will get rid of your too often plays

OR

do a shuffle like I said and then put it on straight play, if you have a thousand songs or more you won't hear the same song twice

and yes it takes a bit of time, but if you get your system together, gather 10 random songs then move them up or down to the top bottome or middle, then do it again and again , you can have a pretty good shuffle,

at different times put it on shuffle or change the mix that you have randomly moved around

again not perfect but until then it does work as a solution.  took me about an hour to make up a new list of 1500 songs, and shuffle them around.   good luck

Electricdonut
Hey guys I was having the same issue so I checked this. I've found a small improvement for the shuffle. If you use the "shuffle play" bar atop of your playlist instead of the "shuffle" button( next to repeat) it shuffles a lot better. I've been switching between the two for the best variety. I hope this helps!

kjbllc
Music Fan

what shuffle bar??  I have premium, but hte only option I see is the playback?

kikitiki32
Casual Listener

We are having the same issue here, we use spotify at work to share all our songs and play them in the background and find that the same handful of songs repeat over and over.  We have over 300+ songs and to hear the same one over and over is frustrating.  Please Spotify...HELP!

kjbllc
Music Fan

yes it is basically useless.  what I have done now it add songs, spread them all out so there are no repeats of any artist and then just play from end to beginning, time consuming for 5,ooo songs. but that is the only way to get a good mix

then take secitons of 30 or so and move them up  and down , mix it all up for variety.

Rollo_
Roadie

It almost seems as though more popular songs are played more frequently.  My theory is that the songs that are more available in the P2P stream get played first.  I have a humungous library, so I only notice it when shuffling from smaller playlists.

Joe
Community Legend

I believe that the way shuffle works needs fixing. From what I see, shuffling a large playlist, puts 50 random tracks into the play queue then, as a track finishes playing, another randomly selected track from the whole playlist (including already played/queued tracks) is added to the queue.

There is this idea which everyone should support.

SUGGESTED POSTS