Shuffle repeats songs too often

Re: Shuffle repeats songs too often

Rollo_
Roadie

Kinda makes sense, but not entirely.  Watch the queue while playing.  It doesn't change, it only advances.  And I've looked at the queue while playing a smallish playlist, but not so small that it should contain a whole lot of repeats.  There are multiple tracks repeated multiple times.  Not sure what the threshold number is, but more than 100, for sure.

Joe
Community Legend

I just played with this a bit. My queue starts at 50 tracks from a 3000 track playlist. As a track rolls off, another is added. Skip 50 tracks and I have 50 new tracks in the queue.

What is rather odd is that I had no repeats in the first 150 tracks. I checked this by copying the queue to a new playlist, skipping 50 then adding the new queue to my playlist and so on. So now I'm thinking that shuffle has been fixed in 0.9.4.169.gc0399df6 or I've been incredibly lucky.

Rollo_
Roadie

Could be.  I generally only shuffle from my humongous library.  80k+, more than I can ever possibly listen to.  Little chance for repeats that way.

user-removed
Not applicable

Having the same exact problem that everyone else here is. I'm using shuffle play on my Starred playlist and it's repeating the same songs  frequently (like once every 30 minutes) even though it's a 17 hour playlist. Extremely annoying. Never had this issue with itunes. Please give us more options for shuffle frequency. There is no way that it's truly random right now.

Ganganation2

I have the same problem. Hope this will be solved soon...

rodwenban

thanks mutantdog that works perfectly and gives me a measure of control too..you're are a legend!

Rollo_
Roadie

This is odd.  I fired up my current version, 0.9.7.16.g4b197456 to try to get it to update, and put a playlist on shuffle.

It was a small playlist 24 tracks streaming, plus another 6 tracks on a network drive and not available.  Guess what?  No repeats at all.  And the playlist did not repeat.

There was nothing in the queue at all when I started Spotify.  I had played no other songs. 

shuffle.jpg

Rollo_
Roadie

I can't explain this.  I've been trying playlists of varying sizes, and as of right now, I can't get Spotify to repeat tracks on shuffle play.  And I've been having the same problems with shuffle play as everyone else.  This happens with both the current version I'm on, 0.9.7.16 and 0.8.3.  The old version definitely displayed this behavior in the past.

I'm not complaining, but I'm stumped as to why.

KyleK29
Casual Listener

I still have the issue in the latest version, rather annoying. It also seems to affect Android and PC versions of the application. Given it's been two years, I'm beginning to wonder why this hasn't been sorted yet. 

As a premium member, I've considered dropping the subscription because of the issue. It's just annoying. To top it off, it seems to completely ignore the fact you don't have repeat selected. So in a playlist of 100 songs, with repeat-off and shuffle on, you'll be fine for the first hour or so and then whammo, you're listening to the same 5 songs over and over.

Pandora (at least when I used it way back when) had issues with this too, for me at least. It's why I stopped using that service.

At the very least, as a temporary fix, they should add a randomize playlist button which scrambles the playlist itself. 

guo1989

I absolutely Agree!

I listen to an artist who has at least 100 songs and shuffle play is the only option.

So far I have listen to the same few songs for more than 5 times each and other songs are not even played once!

Please fix this.

SUGGESTED POSTS