Premium

Country

USA

Device

MacBook Pro (Retina, Mid 2012)

Operating System

10.12.6 (16G29)

My Question or Issue

My sidebar becomes black when opening folders (both main folders & subfolders). See attached GIF. Scrolling reveals the playlists again.

Tried cleaning cache. I've tried reinstalling (both quickly & thouroughly). Tried restarting. Tried safe mode. Tried hardware acceleration on/off.

Tried logging in with another user with like 10 playlists and 2 folders and didn't have the issue.

I don't think the Mac app can handle many folders. This seems like a memory issue maybe.

There is also an occasional issue where entire song rows in a playlist or the play queue will become blank/black until I select or highlight them.

So there are graphics issues in general with the Mac app. I've been having these issues for at least 6 months.

spotify gliitch.gif
9 Replies

Hey @travismm,

Thanks for getting in touch with us 🙂

We tried but couldn't reproduce the issue on our end. In case the issue persists after giving these steps a go, you can try removing the emojis from the titles of the folders. Are there any changes?

It's also important to make sure that the OS version of the device is up-to-date.

Keep us posted! We'll be right here if you have any questions.

Ver Moderator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

I have this same problem too, intermittently when opening & closing folders. Scrolling fixes it but it's a bit annoying. I have LOTS of playlists (2,649), organised in folders. Using an elderly iMac (2011), OS X 10.12.6 Sierra.

Hey @headlikearock,

Thanks for searching for the answer you need here.

Could you let us know if you've tried the steps for a clean reinstall, that @Ver posted? This, combined with removing emojis and special, non-English characters from the playlist names tends to resolve issues like the one you're experiencing. 

Hope this helps. Keep us posted on how it goes. 

Mihail Moderator

Hi,
I also have this problem. I have a large number of playlists in folders.
No special characters and I have tried the clean reinstall you recommended.
I am using the desktop Spotify on a 2015 macbook pro retina, running Catalina.
The left-hand view of the playlists disappears each time I click on a folder. It does not reappear unit I scroll.
It's super annoying, so any help in finding a fix would be appreciated.
thanks
Nick

Hey @Archinick,

Thanks for reaching out.

We appreciate the troubleshooting you've done so far and recommend that you try one more possible solution. You should check your host files and delete any Spotify entries. Below you can find all the steps listed:

1. Open Finder and, in Finder’s menu bar, select Go > Go to Folder. In the box, type the following location: /private/etc/hosts and press return
  2. A new Finder window will open and your Mac’s hosts file will be selected. Click and drag it out of the Finder window and drop it on your desktop
  3. To open it, simply double-click and it will display the file’s contents in TextEdit 
  4. Check for any entries with Spotify in the address
  5. If you do find any lines with Spotify, please remove them
  6. Save your changes and restart Spotify

If that doesn't fix things it's possible you're experiencing a case of this Ongoing Issue. You can +VOTE and subscribe to it, if you haven't already. We'll keep you updated on any updates on the matter there, as soon as there are any.

Hope you find this useful. Keep us posted if you have any questions.

Mihail Moderator

Hi
Many thanks for your response.
I checked the TextEdit content of the host file and there were no Spotify
entries.
I've added my Vote and hope this gets fixed soon.
thanks
Nick

I have this same issue, it's a UI bug. Screenshot attached. The sidebar blanks when expanding folders. Scrolling makes things come back, but it's annoying. This bug was introduced was folders, was briefly fixed (I don't know what release fixed it, sorry,) and then regressed at some point

Screen Shot 2021-01-30 at 6.52.07 AM.png

Hey @aolsystemmsg

Thanks for reaching out about this in the Community. 

We’re aware of an Ongoing Issue causing this behavior and the team in charge is looking into it.

In this case, we’d recommend adding your +VOTE to the Ongoing Issue that @Mihail mentioned above. 

If anything else comes up, we're just a message away. 

Cheers!

NovyModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a "Like".

Missed the existing issue link in that post, thanks @Novy

Suggested posts