Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Slooooooow on iMac ... zzzzzzz

Slooooooow on iMac ... zzzzzzz

Plan

Premium

Country

Netherlands

Device

Apple iMac

Operating System

MacOS 12 Mojave (and all previous versions)

My Question or Issue

Spotify is, as one of the few apps on my iMac, very, VERY slow. While looking in this community I found a couple of posts with exactly the same complaint, dating back to June/July this year. But since then apparently nothing happened. When I tried to add my reply, it said: posts are deleted as too old?!

Spotify: why don't you address serious posts? Spotify, why don't you even explain WHY you don't react? Spotify, why do you drive your customers to Apple Music? At least help us to understand. 

7 Replies

Hi there!

I know it sounds simple, but it's often overlooked. Could you try restarting your device? If that doesn't help, try a quick clean reinstall of the app. Just follow these steps.

Try to disable Hardware Acceleration, just click on the spotify Menu in your Menu Bar next to the Apple Menu, just find Hardware Acceleration and next click on it to disable then confirm to restart Spotify.
Also, if you don't use local files try to disable them inside Settings.

If you're still having trouble, could you let me know the exact version of Spotify and the exact version of the operating system you're running?

I'll see what I can suggest next!

Loxer had previously kindly advsied me to disable hardware acceleration - and it worked - for a while. However, after a few days it returned to the same old INCREDIBLY slow performance. I understand that deleting the Spotify cache, then uninstalling and reinstalling the app can help and sometimes I resort to this - but WHY should we have to do this? No other app performs so poorly. No other app requires you to clear caches and reinstall in order to make it usable. It really is a joke - on OSX at least.

I (and many others it seems) would like a proper statement from Spotify on why their OSX app performance is so appalling and what - if anything - they intend to do about it. There are other options out there...

Thanks for this thread - with continued pressure from the Community, I'd like to think Spotify's product team will eventaully realize that this issue is not going to go away and if they don't figure out how to scale this service, customers will churn on them.

I am pulling for them though!

I executed the advice as described and it 'seems' to work. But my god, what a process ... Is this what I have to do again and again? 😳

I'm running Spotify on a brand new Macbook Pro. After maybe 30 minutes of listening, the songs start to experience loud static interuptions. I've tried it with Hardware Accelerator checked and unchecked. I just now cleared the cache and restarted. We'll see if this takes care of the issue...If not, I will be leaving for Google Play Music or Apple Music as Spotify is extrememly hard to get ahold of for support. Either way, Spotify, you need to listen to your Premium users or you will lose us for good. 

Hello, fellow sufferers! I just recently received new advice from @SpotifyCares on Twitter, as per below. The difference in the instructions below to others I've followed previously seems to be deleting the Spotify folder within Application Support prior to a 'clean reinstall'. It's worked for me - for the moment at least... Hope it helps others too.

Could you click Spotify in the menu bar then Quit Spotify > using Finder, under the Go menu at the top of the screen, select the Go to Folder option (or you could also press Shift + Apple Key + G to access). Inside the “Go to the folder” field that pops up, type or paste ~/Library/Caches/com.spotify.client/ and then click “Go” or press Enter > delete com.spotify.client folder > click the back arrow > open Application Support and delete the Spotify folder > download and install Spotify. This should give you a completely fresh reinstall of the app. Let us know if this helps

Hi!

This works for me:

1. Using Finder, under the Go menu at the top of the screen, select the Go to Folder option (you can also press Shift-Apple Key-G to access). Inside the “Go to the folder” field that pops up, type or paste ~/Library/Caches/com.spotify.client/ and then click “Go” or press Enter.

2. Delete everything inside the com.spotify.client folder. You can select all of the items by pressing Command + A.

3. Using the Go to Finder option from Step 1, go to ~/Library/Application Support/Spotify/.

4. Inside the Spotify folder, look for a file called prefs. Open this file in Notepad and add storage.size=1024 on a new line at the end of the file. Save this file. This should limit the size of Spotify’s cache to 1024MB or 1GB; you can change the “1024” value if you would like the cache to be smaller or larger.

5. Delete the PersistentCache folder inside the Spotify folder.

Best regards,

Suggested posts