Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Song won't play after ad

Solved!

Song won't play after ad

The last few days, I've been having an issue.  An ad will always play before the last song on whichever album I'm listening to.  After the ad, Spotify will not play the last song.  It will not play anything, but will be set up to start the album over if I click Play.

128 Replies

Same here :/... And when you press play it starts over... Basically I've been listening to the same few songs on every playlist for days now 😕

So Spotify wouldn't play after ad. Downloaded ez blocker which has blocked the ad but Spotify still won't play. Help please

Wow, four friggin' years after this bug was reported and it's still present: I've just stumbled on it (and this is why I came here). This is just... WOW!

Right now, The selected song will be played after the ad is on my list of top hated sentences. The app either doesn't play the ad (and thus doesn't play any other song unless I quit the app and start it again) or it does play the ad but doesn't resume playback.

I've come to the conclusion that solving this bug is not in the interest of Spotify: considering the very long timespan we (free users) have been waiting for a definitive solution and so far got none, I'm convinced that this is an intentional bug designed to force free users to either go premium (give money to the Spotify company) or quit using the app (stop using the company's resources).

For people getting this headache, I found a workaround that worked for me.

In the options menu for a song (may work for album, too, but I haven't tried), those three dots when you hover over a song, click to get the drop down menu to see "Start Radio" etc, and select "Copy Song Link". Paste it into your url bar and load. This has worked for me every time to unstick the player after ads.

Logging out, restarting, using incognito, nothing else worked except this. I use the web player, so I'm not sure if it will work for the desktop application.

Hope this helps. Too bad we need to "workaround" errors with ads to begin with.

@projectbonzai: unfortunately, for me this solution didn't work. I'm currently using Spotify version 1.0.64.407.g9bd02c2d for Linux on my 64-bit XUbuntu Linux version 16.04.3 and copy-pasting the song's link didn't work (didn't cause the playback to resume). Copy-pasting the playlist's link didn't work, either. Also tried using Spotify URI instead of link (URL) to no avail: the problem persists.

It's an old issue and solving it is cleary not in the best interest of the Spotify's dev team.

Mines ok now. Maybe just needing updating 🤷‍♀️

I'm using a 64-bit XUbuntu Linux 16.04 operating system. I updated Spotify to the latest (most up-to-date) version avaiable for Linux desktops: Spotify version 1.0.64.407.g9bd02c2d. Yet, the same problem is happening: I put a playlist to play, some songs play until it stops playing and at the top of the Spotify window I see a horizontal blue banner saying "The selected song will be played after the ad". But the ad isn't played and thereafter I'm unable to listen to any song.

I end up having to shutdown (close) the Spotify app and then start it again.

As I mentioned before, I believe this bug is intentional: it's made in order to induce free users to either become premium users or stop (give up on) using the Spotify's web server resources (stop using Spotify for free, with ads).

When I am listening to Spotify and then click on a shost video on Twitter or Instagram or Facebook it won’t go back to playing music. In the app it says it’s playing but it’s not actually. I have to close the app and reopen it 

Spotify says it’s playing songs after I watch a video on twitter but won’t go back and actually play the music. I have to close the app and refresh it every time 

Suggested posts