Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Songs not starting at the beginning of the track

Songs not starting at the beginning of the track

Every once in a while, I'll get to a song where spotify will skip the first 1 or 2 seconds of a song. I can move the seeker all the way to the front, it says it starting at the beginning, but spotify will still skip the first few seconds of the song.  

It's not something dire, but after a while it gets annoying.

106 Replies

I am also experiencing this issue now noticeably often, since maybe about two months (it didn't happen to me earlier). I mostly play the same playlist and I have shuffle on most of the time. My playlist consists of local files and streamed songs. I am not using fade between tracks but I have gapless play enabled.

Edit: I actually get this behaviour on my home desktop computerr AND work laptop as well.

Spoiler

I've actually started getting this on my phone now as well 😮

Motorola G

Android Kitkat

Spotify: 1.5.0.739

Is it really that hard to add some sort of check to make sure the song is starting at the beginning? Obviously what you are doing now is not, and has not been working for a long time.

Edit: I cannot seem to recreate it on mobile, maybe just something I imagined.

blah... don't even bother, lots of people have been saying it for years and not even ONE developer or anyone close to them commented about it. either they are a bunch of ignorant useless people or they don't even know how to fix it. they probably think it's ok cuz most people can't notice it anyway. it's not a question of if other people are having the same problem or not, everybody is having it, but only few are noticing it. I've seen this problem on many of my friends but they are not even aware of it. there is a problem somewhere in the codes of the program for sure.

I too have this exact problem. Spotify devs are you even trying to find the bug?

Well, the fact that this thread started in 2012 tells me otherwise.

i like spotify very much, though, so i just ignore it but it's annoying sometimes.

I am experiencing the same problem on both Android and Windows. Very annoying!

I have this issue too. It is very random.

Spotify, come one. This along with the column sorting is something it looks like you don't give a **bleep** about.

I've been trialling spotify and google music. The spotify issue is a particular problem for me as I want to use Spotify on our student radio station (yes we have all the proper licences!) - but to pre-fade a track (check the levels) you skip through the song, then when returning to the beginning you find it's skipping nearly the first second of the song.

I've just downloaded the 'beta' and the same thing happens. 

What's taking so long? 

Using Spotify on a radio station even if you have the correct licensing is still against the Spotify terms of usage just FYI.

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

To be honest, as neither service would be good enough (I personally find google slow to load) and the unresolved spotify skipping issue, I think I'll be sticking to more traditional methods, anyway. But I did not know it was against the rules, so thanks. Do you know why, out of interest? 

Spotify terms specify you can only use the service exclusively for "personal, non-commercial usage" and it is also a breach of the terms to make public any part of the Spotify service as provided to you (which I would assume includes broadcasts).

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

@Jarmake wrote:

[...] I have gapless play enabled. [...]

I've been a Spotify user since Spotify was launched, and the problem has always been there. Gapless playback was introduced about a year ago, so I'm a 100% sure it has nothing to do with that.

So I take it that this matter will never be fixed, unless it is an accident(?)

Maybe one of those things that does not get enough complaints from customers, so it is not that important to take properly care of.

Dear Spotify support. 

If Spotify has been paused and I go to play a new track the first 250-500ms of the song are skipped.

This is annoying because often this contains the first beat of the track so you begin on the second beat which is a rather disorientating start to the song. Or for example if the song starts with a guitar chord you miss the chord.

This isn't how I want to listen to music and I'm sure it's not how your artists want their music to be heard.

My internet is fast and my computers are powerful. I have just reinstalled Windows and the problem remains. It also occurs on both my laptop and PC.

The problem occurs on multiple audio cards. 

The problem cannot be reproduced every time but most times. 

I may have been wrong about it occuring on my Android, I've just tried and it works fine. 

To reproduce on a windows computer: pick your favourite song with a drum hit at the very beginning for example Footloose by Kenny Loggins. Now play the track 10 seconds, pause it, then drag the play position back to the beginning and hit play. the first bit of the song has been cut off. If it doesn't happen the first time try again. Ok I hear you saying "so what? no one does that anyway"

Now play a song, pause the song, then hit next. The first 250-500ms of the next song has been cut off. That means that if you pause a song, leave your computer or do some work then the next song you play will have it's start skipped. 

It seems like a simple thing but it's annoying that a program that is meant to play music hasen't got the basic function right and no one will take ownership of it. 

I look forward to your fix,

kind regards, Ollie.

this problem seems to be finally resolved with the 1.0.1 release... although they stripped out other useful features such as minimizing to taskbar, at least this annoying problem is fixed.

I take it back... the problem is still there... useless developers.

There is hope comrades! So I finally got so annoyed with this I emailed the Spotify CTO with ALL the details and a link to this thread. Surprisingly he replied(!) saying he'd forward my email to the dev team. I recieved an email from a nice lady in this team on Friday saying they have been able to replicate the bug and should patch it in the next update! 
I will be so happy if they fix it. It's been a long walk to freedom. 

Is it fixed?

I tried 1.0  but had to roll back since they broke a lot of stuff with that release.

Yep, I can no longer reproduce this problem with version: 1.0.6.80.g2a801a53

Thank you Spotify!

This happens to me but only on some songs (e.g. "Bike" by Pink Floyd misses off the "I've", which gives you an idea of the length of pause). Also it only happens with playback through Chromecast Audio, not through my phone, a Samsung S5.

Suggested posts