Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Songs not starting at the beginning of the track

Songs not starting at the beginning of the track

Every once in a while, I'll get to a song where spotify will skip the first 1 or 2 seconds of a song. I can move the seeker all the way to the front, it says it starting at the beginning, but spotify will still skip the first few seconds of the song.  

It's not something dire, but after a while it gets annoying.

106 Replies

Hello, I have this issue too, but it's quite new I didn't have it 1 or 2 weeks ago, I think.

So far I've experienced the problem when playing spotify android on 2 different devices (nexus5 and lenovo tab s8-50), to an external speaker (sony srs-x77) via spotify connect.

I will post other data as I collect them.

Bye

It might be a Problem wotb poor Internet connectivity on the latest Firmware of the Sony speakers. I am ecperidncing It on srs x88

I'm having this problem on my vizio tv. I have the app on my smart tv and I have it on my iPhone, but this only happens on the tv. None of the songs start at the beginning, and I checked all the settings, gapless play is turned off, no fade, but it don't make a difference... Thinking of moving to Apple Music. I shouldn't have this problem for $10 a month...

On mine, they start playing half way though so 2/3 minutes into the song it self.

Update:
The problem only seems to show up when playing a radio started from a song on my external speaker Sony SRS-X77 via Spotify Connect. No problem when playing an artist-based radio, a playlist or an album.

I have the same problem when playing thru to a Sony SRS-X77. My guess is the firmware in the Sony SRS-X77 that connects to spotify is causing this problem. I have no problem playing it directly from any iphone, android or my computer. Sony and Spotify need to resolve this because I'm sure it affects all the Sony SRS-X devices family. Having 10secs or so from the beginning of the song being cut off is very annoying.

A note though, hard rebooting the Sony does fixes it, albeit only temporarily. The problem will resurface after a certain time playing. 

Hi there.

I'm having the same issue you describe. I'm using a sony cmt-sx7 hifi system, and the last firmware update (released earlier this week) didn't fix the problem. The thing is, using spotify connect skips the first 10 seconds or so at the begging of any song, especially when it's on a playlist. When i manually click a song, it sounds fine. I suppose it has to do with something related to the way it handles the buffering. I haven't been able to fix it yet... so do you have a workaround for this annoying behavior?.

Hope Sony or spotify fix it soon. I suppose we aren't the only ones affected by this.

Best Regards,

I have the same problem and it seems to be when i use the play/pause control at the bottom and when i double click a song, but when i click the play button to the left it plays back correctly, well it does for me at least.

Would like to report the same issue, rather more severe in my case. 

Certain songs would start from ~30 seconds ?! I mean, I get it AIs will probably eliminate the job of DJs soon, but if spotify is straight up strying to mix here, throw in some faders? 

Hope they start paying their engineers a bit more money instead of wasting it on their new office in WTC, so they become bit more competent and fix this what, 5 years and running issue? Gee...

This just started happening to me this month (April 2017). It is super annoying. And why did it just start happening suddenly. I went in and adjusted the crossfade setting but it didn't help. 

For me it is every song. I just started having this problem a couple weeks ago. It is just the first second that is missing--crucial for almost any Beatles song, where they just jump right in. The missing second cuts off the first word or two.

It also does this with the ads - maybe that will get the company's attention? Advertisers of 15-second ads are getting only about 14 seconds of ad time. Refund them for the lost second? 

I am running Spotify desktop on a brand new Macbook Pro OS Sierra. 

Jim

Wanted to add I'm having this issue too, on the Android app.  LG Aristo, Android 7.0.  Every song has about a 0.5s fade in.  Metal songs start at 0:00:00 dudes.  Can't be missing that first hit.

Hi. I'm also having this issue on my android, windows and osx app. It happen to the same songs on every app, and the same song allways start at the same moment (around 2mins). I think it may be an issue with the function that allows to continue listening to your music on another device. Maybe the moment you're in when you switch from a device to another stay's in your spotify account memory and it's not deleted when you finish the song. 

I confirm, it's really anoying...

I have this same issue. It only started happening for me with the most recent update.

It completely ruins my enjoyment of using the app to listen to music.

same for me, most recent update starts song around 7-10 secs in (maybe because of my other devices)
I dont really mind, most of the songs I listen start a bit slow. Was just really curious why it happened and if I were the only one

Hey, on certain playlists the songs end early and start about 30 seconds into the song.  This is very annoying. Is there anyway to fix?

I had the same problems, and i reinstalled Spotify and it still didn't fix it. What did work for me was going into "Edit" then "Preferences" then going down to "Advance Options" and clicking on the "Crossfade Playback" to about ~3secs. It pretty seamlessly seems to fade in the next song and it starts from the beginning. Hope this helps anyone else!

Still not fixed after 6 year. 

So this started happening to me about a week ago. Everything was working fine up until then but now it happens for every single song when on autoplay. Would really like some word from spotify on this and how to fix it because can't really listen to some albums now cause of songs not transitioning properly.

I had this exact problem, i would play a song on the "Dubstep Don" playlist and it would randomly skip 28 seconds when i pressed play on some of the songs. Please sort this out spotify because it is messing our experience up.

@jimitaylor wrote:

This is my biggest problem with Spotify, why do they think that missing the first few seconds of a song is a better experience than waiting a few seconds for it to start?  The start of a song is a vital part of the story.

If everyone who is annoyed by this clicks on "I've got this problem too" at the start of the thread, perhaps they'll take notice and fix this.

Suggested posts