Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Sound on Mac got quiet

Sound on Mac got quiet

Plan: Spotify premium ($5.99/month)

Free/Premium: Premium

Device: Macbook Pro (2019)

(iPhone 8, Samsung Galaxy 9, Macbook Pro late 2016)

Operating System: Mac OS Catalina

(iOS 10, Android Oreo, Windows 10,etc.)

My Question or Issue:

Ive been listening to music on this Mac for months now without any issues, and all of a sudden it went really quiet. I can only start hearing anything when the sound bar is at around halfway or higher. I have read the other tips on this webpage, and done them (restarted laptop, re-installed, checked spotify settings), and there doesnt seem to be anything wrong but I still cant fix this. 

Thanks,

Alex

11 Replies

Hey @alextjulkin,

Thanks for reaching out about this here in the Community. 

Would you mind double-checking if you have Spotify open on another device at the same time? Asking since my account will eventually try switching to my phone via the Connect feature if I leave the app running on that device while I'm also trying to run it on my MacBook Air. This would sometimes cause issues with the playback volume (also considering there's a chance that both devices will be connected to the same speaker/audio system).

To avoid this, make sure to log out and quit the app on your other device(s) as well as to disconnect the devices from the same audio system your Mac is connected to (if this condition applies) and then restart your Mac before checking the playback volume again.

Let us know how it goes. We'll be here to keep providing you with the support you need in case this doesn't do the trick!

Mario Moderator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Hi,

Thanks for your message. I closed my spotify on all other devices and then restarted my laptop but unfortunately it still wont work. 

Regards

Alex

Hey @alextjulkin,

Thanks for keeping us in the loop!

Just to double-check, are you experiencing what you reported with Spotify only or also with other apps/websites? Asking since it'd be good now to determine if this is specifically related to the Spotify app on your Mac or to the Mac itself before testing any further trouble-shooting. 

We're looking forward to your update and we're here to help with anything else too!

Mario Moderator

Hi Mario,

I am only experiencing this issue specifically on my spotify app on my Mac. Other apps work fine on my Mac, and spotify works fine on my other devices too, so its only the one specific Spotify application on my Mac.

Thanks,

Alex

Hey @alextjulkin,

Thanks for your reply and sharing the info.

Now, before getting started with some trouble-shooting, only a couple more questions:

1. are you trying to listen to your music on Spotify through your computer’s built-in speakers or your display speakers (for instance, using cable headphones)?
  2. If you're not, are you trying to use an external speaker or a digital receiver (for instance, using bluetooth headphones or speakers)?

We'll look out for your update and be available for anything else you might need help with as well!

Mario Moderator

Hi Mario,

Thanks for the suggestions.

I just tried connecting a speaker to my laptop (which I didnt do before), and I have the same problem... I can only hear sound when the sound bar is about halfway, and it doesnt get very loud. Thank you for your continued help regarding this issue.

Regards,

Alex

Hey @alextjulkin,

Thanks for your updates and sorry for the late reply!

Although you said you already checked the Spotify settings, would you mind double-checking if the option "Quiet" is currently selected in the section Volume level? Also, are the options "High" or "Very high" what you chose for your Streaming quality? Asking since streaming at such a high sound quality may reduce the output volume in order to preserve the dynamic of sound as much as possible. As a heads-up, you'll always find these two section in Settings > SHOW ADVANCED SETTINGS.

Let us know what you find once you double-checked. We'll look out for your updates and be available to help with anything else as well!

Mario Moderator

I'm having the same problem as Alex! The volume wasn't on 'quiet' mode and there wasn't any change when I turned it to 'loud' mode. It's fine on a bluetooth speaker, but frustratingly quiet when on my Macbook's internal speakers. It's a new laptop and I just updated the software, so I know the speakers themselves are working.

Hey @nsandberg94,

Thanks posting here in the Community! We'll gladly help you out.

Could you toggle the setting Hardware acceleration in your app and let us know whether or not that makes a difference? Make sure to also restart the app after making the switch. 

If the issue persists, it's a good idea to check for available updates for your system. The fact that the sound plays OK when connected to Bluetooth speakers leads me to believe it's possible that some of your sound drivers are outdated. 

Keep us posted! We'll be happy to lend a hand if you need more help. 

Mihail Moderator

Hi there,

I'm having the same issue with my Mac and the devices I connect to it.

I've tried everything in this blog but the issue keeps on occurring.

Maybe it is because I run Spotify trough Rosetta and it hasn't been updated for macOS Big Sur?

Thanks in advance

Jochem H.

Hey hey @jochemhulpiau,

Thanks for reaching out on the Community.

If you've exhausted the troubleshooting steps that have been suggested so far, we can suggest taking a look here.

We're currently testing a Beta version of the app to run with Apple Silicon, if you'd like you can give it a shot by downloading the .dmg file.

Hope this helps.

ElenaModerator

Suggested posts