Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify App for OS X causing system reboot!!!

Solved!

Spotify App for OS X causing system reboot!!!

Hello,

I just upgraded my Mac Pro to osx El Capitan 10.11.1 (15B38b) and when I open the Spotify App (latest downloaded from the official website) I get a full system reboot. 

Please let me know what could be the problem beacause I am very concerned for any data loss. Beside I just made the Premium upgrade for Spotify. Thank you.

My system config:

Mac Pro early 2008

2x3,2 Intel Xeon

12 Gb Ram

ATI Radeon 5870

Serial N: CK81203XXYL

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

As far for me, the solution is to install the latest version from the website and NOT upgrade when they notice it inside the app. Of course, I loose the italian language. Spotify, thank you for asking money for nothing! One of the baddest support for a software I've ever seen. Hope you fail!

View solution in original post

11 Replies

I saw your computer is from 2008.

Unfortunally I think that is the cause.

The old processor can't really handle so heavy apps, although it is a mac pro much has happened during nine years when coming to app size and processor speeds.

If it worked before, I think it is the new El Capitan that is too heavy for your computer and consumes too much for the computer specs.

If "data loss" you mean loosing the playlist, Spotify stores your playlists on their services, so no music is lost.

But I think it is the GPU or processor that are too heavily taxed and causes system reboot as it get too hot.

With all the respect, but I take your answer as a joke. I use the same computer for video editing and 3D rendering and I suppose that this couldn't be an easier task than using a MUSIC PLAYER. So, please, is there any competent persone whom I could report the bug of your software?? Best regards

I'm sorry if I was kidding.

Apologize for my incompetent answer.

I didn't know you use it for video production.

I'm having the same problem, mate. It doesn't always happen, but is VERY frequent. I'm on a MacBook Air (13-inch, Early 2014) running El Capitan.

I've just tried removing Spotify entirely (including its folder in 'Application Support') and then installing it again. No reboots so far. You might want to give it a try.

Marked as solution

As far for me, the solution is to install the latest version from the website and NOT upgrade when they notice it inside the app. Of course, I loose the italian language. Spotify, thank you for asking money for nothing! One of the baddest support for a software I've ever seen. Hope you fail!

I've used your suggestion and so far it seems to be working well. I was shocked to see this happen on my MacBook Pro Mid 2012. I have 16GB of RAM installed and the 2.5 Core i5. This was definetly dissapointing to see that a simple music streaming app caused my entire system to reboot. 

I'm glad that my paper I was working on had the autosave ability, otherwise I would have been screwed.

Each update is worse than previous one. One update ago spotify didn't work becouse of a emty window. And i had to go to the roots of the file and fix it by myself. Now they chush my desktop os. What would be the next? 

The work of software team is inappropriate, I pay money for nothing. Shame on you, Spotify.

I just bought a new Macbook Pro 15" i7 mid-2015 and installed Spotify app from the website. When I attempted to open Spotify it forced OSX Yosemite to reboot. Though after the reboot, the Spotify runs OK. But if I shut down my Mac and turned it on again, Spotify still forced OSX to reboot. I followed your suggestion, completely uninstalled the Spotify and reinstall again. The problem still remains. Can someone help me please?

Are you open to upgrading to OS X Capitan? Also, I realzied that Spotify wasn't the problem with my system rebooting. It was the fact that the company that I bought my computer from didn't install the RAM properly, which was causing distortion in my screen. I'm not sure what to do next in terms of this issue, but I think having the latest operating system could be a viable solution to most problems (if possible).

I am also running some apps that are only compatible with OSX Yosemite on my MacBook so upgrading to El Capitan is not an option. I followed the official suggestion to completely uninstall Spotify and reinstall again. The problem still remains. When tried to open Spotify it still forces my MacBook to reboot. Anyone knows how to fix this problem?

Suggested posts