Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Apple Silicon and Spotify

Solved!

Apple Silicon and Spotify

Plan

Premium

Country

Device

Macbook Air M1 2020

Operating System

macOS Big Sur

My Question or Issue

Hi! I'm just asking when are you going to release an Universal or a M1 optimized version of the Spotify desktop app, because Rosetta 2 is going soon to be removed from macOS (according to latest macOS 11.3) and that would make impossible to install the Spotify desktop app on Apple Silicon. And also, by releasing a native binary, it would be faster and more stable.

P.D: AFAIK most of the components you use are already ported to Apple Silicon (CEF, and most third-party libraries) so it's on your side

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

UPDATE: Apple Silicon Macs (M1 chip) are now supported in the latest desktop Mac version

Spotify has posted an update about Apple Silicon Macs (M1 chip) support here:

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Implemented-Ideas/Desktop-Add-support-for-Apple-Silicon-ARM64-on-Ma...

"Thank you all for bringing your feedback to the Community Idea Exchange and participating in this Beta test!

Your input has been invaluable and helped us tweak the app to make full use of the new CPU architecture.

We're happy to announce that the app is now out of Beta and can be downloaded from our website. You should automatically get the correct version for your Mac's CPU and all updates will be automatic as well, just the way it was in the past.

This idea is now officially implemented! Thanks once more for all your votes and posts.

Happy listening! 🎶"

MattSudaSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

View solution in original post

156 Replies

It is very simple. 

Spotify on my M1 MacBook Pro still runs of Rosetta. Is clunky, it's buggy, and it's a power hog. 

I can't find an answer even if Spotify is working on a native M1 version or version for ARM desktop architecture. 

Could I and many owners get some answers? Customer service seems to know nothing on the topic. Is it really time to move to Apple Music for native support and an equalizer?

I agree.

Spotify not showing that its a premium service with this poor management of the desktop App and just general lack in any communication and care about the service and customers who pay for it. Its like they don't have any passion for it... they could do so many cool things with the app but its just lacklustre.  I genuinely am considering a move to apple music for these reasons. 

Hey folks, 

Thanks for reaching out about this in the Community. 

We appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback with us and will make sure to pass it onto the right team, as we always strive to improve your experience.

We recommend adding your +VOTE to this thread, as other users also think this would be a good idea. You can also subscribe to it in the three-dot menu, that way you can stay up-to-date with any relevant news about this.

If anything else comes up, we're always a message away. 

Cheers!

NovyModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a "Like".
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

it shouldn't require a vote such a fundamental feature... I really hope they are already working on it and not waiting for a magical number of votes.

This seems like a duplicate - Other one here

The thread above has quite a few votes so hopefully they are looking into this! But I agree its crazy that this was not already developed ready for when apple silicon came out.

Why should we have to vote for Spotify to release a native desktop app for Apples new arm based platform? It's not like if Spotify is a free service where we can vote to get something ... I suppose that most of us pay for Spotify premium. I currently am paying for a family subscription and Apple Music is getting more and more interesting for each day that passes by.

Actually, it does.... my family has pushed back on account that only one other member has an apple product (iPhone) so I have suffered, but I am gonna soon play the: whoever pays get's to choose card....

and also wanted to answer here, doesn't really answer a question, especially it does not answer the deafening silence surrounding the issue, considering M1 Macs and Macs mini are flying off the shelves.

If you have an Ipad/Iphone, you can source the IOs version with Imazing and then install the Ios version, its very simple. I dont know if that more efficient that the Rosetta version. Or use the Spotify web player

Hey there @leoplan2,

Thanks for reaching out about this in the Community!

Currently we have no official info on an exact date when Spotify is going to be released natively for the M1 chip. 

The developer team is constantly trying to improve the app and make it more widely available, so we'd recommend keeping your app up to date to get the newest releases.

Don't hesitate to reach out again if you have more questions.

AlexModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.

I cannot understand how you can be this irresponsible to these pleas. The person is basically saying that they might not be able to use the Desktop app because of the possibility that Rosetta 2 will be removed. They are saying that they are paying for this app and they may not use it.

And what's the response: 'Sorry. We are not considering it.' This is one of the worst attitudes an app company take to a common and reasonable plea.

You are already coding an app for iOS platform, which is not that different from coding for Apple Silicon platform. Just get a couple software engineers on it and get it done. It is not an unreasonable request.

I have now canceled my Spotify family plan and moved myself and my family to an Apple ONE Family plan.

At some point in the future when Spotify chooses to support and communicate better on their premium service I may become a subscriber again.

Good bye for now.

God bless. I am about to do the same. Have my 3-month free trial period and it is integrated with Apple Silicon machines much better.

This is such a tone-deaf approach from Spotify for something that is so sensible and almost every other software developer adapted to almost immediately.

Also extra minus points for copy/pasting the same Community Manager message ad nauseam. Zero care for the customer.

Plan

Premium

New Zealand

Have reinstalled.

Device

MacBook Pro (13-inch, M1, 2020)

Operating System

macOS Big Sur V 11.2.3 

Upon looking in the forums this seems to be a common issue?

When will this be fixed?

It keeps crashing even when not playing music.

It keeps randomly starting playing songs I have never played and puts them on loop.

Please sort this out, this is a paid service!

same happening here

Hey folks, 

Thanks for reaching out about this in the Community. 

We'd first recommend performing a clean reinstall of the app, as this is more thorough than a regular one and can help clearing any cache that might be causing trouble.

If this doesn't do the trick, could you let us know if you notice the same behavior with a different device?

Keep us posted.

NovyModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a "Like".

Hi Novy,
As above I have tried a clean install,
This is only specific to the M1 Macs, The last gen Intel mac, and windows do not have this issue,
Find it a bit disappointing that on the other posts with this issue it had to be "Voted" to support this.

Hi again @kiwikezza,

Thanks for keeping in touch.

We'd like to confirm, are those songs you've never played before being played on any other devices where you use Spotify? If that's the case, we suggest to take a look at this article and make sure to follow the steps you'll find there to secure your account.

Regarding the crashing, another thing you can try is to clean the hosts file by following the steps in this guide. Also, try toggling off the option Enable hardware acceleration within the app's settings.

Let us know how it goes. We'll be on the lookout.

CarlosEModerator

If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

This is not tied to playing songs. My Spotify has crashed when it's not playing songs and just sitting idle in the background. It seems to be random.

The only time I can consistently get Spotify to crash is when I wake my m1 Mac from hibernation. I'm not sure how often it crashes then but it feels like it's every time I wake my Mac up, although it's probably "only" every few times.

Edit - Idk why it says I'm a "visitor". I have a family premium account.

Suggested posts